http://www.diveheart.org/

Western Australian Shark cull

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not sure where to put this. I would like to appeal to the global diving community to lend their weight to this protest against the disgusting cull. One tiger shark dead already three days into the cull. Protests on beaches here and on east coast of Aus but if any dive clubs would like to protest elsewhere please take a pic and pm it to me and I will post on the FB Save our Sharks page for those who do not have facebook

Please sign this online petition - thanks :)

https://www.greenpeace.org.au/action/?cid=60&src=SHFB1

Why is it disgusting to destroy animals that threaten the safety of human life. Australians have enjoyed their beautiful beaches for many years. In recent years the anecdotal evidence indicates there has been a drastic increase in the number of man eating sharks along our coast line. This has paralleled a dramatic increase in the number of fatal shark attacks. Many families are now afraid to enter the water.

In Perth we have a website that provides shark alerts. I have found on a number of occasions that man eating sharks are being seen within a few kilometres of where I dive. The risk of an attack in those circumstances is significant and needs to be reduced.

Sharks spotted a few kilometres off shore pose a threat divers and beach goers alike.

Contrary to what the fanatical and misguided Greenies would have us believe, human life is of more value than a sharks. The ocean is not the sharks domain, it is where they happen to swim and where people like to go swimming.

The idea that people should either stay out of the water or enter at their own risk is just more fanciful Greenie ideology.

While the governments efforts are long overdue and at this stage a token gesture at resolving the problem, it is a start.

Why is it disgusting to destroy animals that threaten the safety of human life. Australians have enjoyed their beautiful beaches for many years. In recent years the anecdotal evidence indicates there has been a drastic increase in the number of man eating sharks along our coast line. This has paralleled a dramatic increase in the number of fatal shark attacks. Many families are now afraid to enter the water.

In Perth we have a website that provides shark alerts. I have found on a number of occasions that man eating sharks are being seen within a few kilometres of where I dive. The risk of an attack in those circumstances is significant and needs to be reduced.

Sharks spotted a few kilometres off shore pose a threat divers and beach goers alike.

Contrary to what the fanatical and misguided Greenies would have us believe, human life is of more value than a sharks. The ocean is not the sharks domain, it is where they happen to swim and where people like to go swimming.

The idea that people should either stay out of the water or enter at their own risk is just more fanciful Greenie ideology.

While the governments efforts are long overdue and at this stage a token gesture at resolving the problem, it is a start.

WOW! Just WOW!

The ocean is not the sharks domain, it is where they happen to swim and where people like to go swimming.

So the ocean is not the sharks domain??? Where would you like their domain to be? AQWA? - Far from a radical greenie thanks, I dive where you dive, if you are afraid of sharks, buy a shark shield and dive within the soon to be safe roped off areas when the barriers are installed or stay out of the water. You would be aware that one diver has been taken at Rotto, compare diver v shark incidents to surfer and swimmer v shark incidents. Given the number of drownings at Perth beaches each year outweighs the number of shark bites perhaps you would support Barnett banning swimming or entering the ocean to keep the public safe. I havent seen any reduction in numbers of divers going out every sunday morning. Conservationist yes, radical greenie..no.

So the ocean is not the sharks domain??? Where would you like their domain to be? AQWA? - Far from a radical greenie thanks, I dive where you dive, if you are afraid of sharks, buy a shark shield and dive within the soon to be safe roped off areas when the barriers are installed or stay out of the water. You would be aware that one diver has been taken at Rotto, compare diver v shark incidents to surfer and swimmer v shark incidents. Given the number of drownings at Perth beaches each year outweighs the number of shark bites perhaps you would support Barnett banning swimming or entering the ocean to keep the public safe. I havent seen any reduction in numbers of divers going out every sunday morning. Conservationist yes, radical greenie..no.

So tell us more about this Sunday morning group of friends with whom you dive and explain why they should be considered to be representative of the diving community as a whole.

Let's suppose for a moment that there was a large tract of bush in say 3 km square near the metropolitan area and within that bush there was a lion on the loose. Do you think there would be a significant risk to any human entering the area. Should we do anything to remove the risk?

I dont dive with ''them'' sunday mornings - I am rostered on my ship and see the Dolphin Dive boat charter go out every sunday and have not noticed a marked decline in their numbers. Lets suppose for a moment there are no lions in western australia or the whole continent for that matter so no, theres no significant risk to humans entering the area. Should we suddenly be invaded by lions in sure Mr Barnett will be letting us all know. I dont dive with any club in perth just a few buddies from Albany to Lancelin whenever the opportunity arises - boat diving only. I also do not take crays or do any fishing. Dived Carnac last week looking for an anchor.

I dive overseas regularly and am sad to say the chance of seeing sharks of any size or numbers in Asia is long gone...I consider us lucky to still have big sharks. 2.2% of the population considered to all the other stats (vending machines kill more people worldwide/coconuts kill more people/cows kill more people) isnt a mass attack outbreak given our population increase.

A big percent of the people on the Dolphin boat are tourists who don't know any better. I dive off the boat occasionally. It is well known that there is widespread concern about shark attacks within the community. Our political leaders have acknowledged this and stated that it is having a significant impact on businesses who derive income from people enjoying our beaches. That is one of the stated reasons for using the drum lines.

Yes, if their was a lion that posed a threat to the population it would be destroyed. The same with any animal that poses a threat to human life. That is why dogs who kill children or people are destroyed. The reason is that human life is of more value than that of an animal. I'd argue that the risk of an attack from a white pointer swimming within a few kilometres of a diver is greater than the threat posed by the lion. A big white pointer is a more effective killing machine. In some of the attacks over here people have been bitten people in half and disappeared completely presumably because they were eaten whole. Lions don't do that. Swimming in the ocean also makes them very mobile.

A man eating shark swimming within a few kilometres of people in the water poses an unacceptably high risk to those people. The government knows that and it is the reason they are trying to eliminate the risk.

Ross Weir who is the president of of West Australians for Shark Conservation, ie. another Greenie group, told one of the local radio stations that protesters had removed baits from the hooks set to catch sharks. That is illegal and they could face heavy fines. Makes you wonder what they'd have to say if a child swimming down at the beach got attacked and killed by a shark in the same area where the baits were removed. Oh they later retracted the claims saying that it would negatively impact their campaign. In other words, they still acknowledge doing it, they're now just not admitting it. Baits were found to be removed from the hooks this morning.

A few years back in Australia we had devastating fires in the SE of the country. Around 173 people lost their lives. The various councils were warned of the risks and told to clear breaks, burn off and clear bush around houses. The worse hit areas were in the "green belt" with councils that pandered to the Greenies wishes and refused to heed the warnings. People were being prosecuted for clearing around their houses. Even after the fires and deaths these same councils continued with the enforce these laws.

These are the kind of thugs you're dealing with. This is the kind of fanaticism that drives the Greenies. They're the same group now asking you to sign this sugar coated petition.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

Swimming in the ocean also makes them very mobile.

Maybe we should take them out of the ocean so we can at least out-run them?
(sarcasm should be noted)

Not much in the way of sensible discussion on the topic from your side. I'd assume that would be because you don't have any. We get the same in this country as well from the Greenies. The force of their arguments relies mostly on histrionics, fanciful ideological claims and scientific weasel words. You can catch a glimpses of this in the petition they're asking you to sign.

Back
Top Bottom