West Papua (Irian Jaya)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacHeath

Contributor
Reaction score
Done a quick search of the forum and found almost nothing on diving in West Papua.

We are looking at going to the Raja Ampat islands on a liveaboard. I know the fish and corals are supposed to be great, but I can't find out if there are wrecks there too.
Anybody know? I know there are lots of wrecks elsewhere in West Papua, but specifically in the Raja Ampats?

Any info on diving there in general is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hey MacHeath,

I've been tortuously researching Raja Ampat area since reading an undercurrent article last September. There's very little info out there and I suppose that's a good thing (not many folks diving there) ! What I HAVE read is all good.

To answer your question, yes, from what I've read, there are wrecks.

Some samples:

(This from the Kararu website)

DAY TWO Wai Island

After a light breakfast, a check dive will be offered in the calm shores of Wai Island. A full breakfast will be served and another dive will be offered at the American plane that fell in the 1940’s. The wreck is upside down and between 24-34m (90-115’) deep. The wreck is fairly intact with excellent coral covering it especially on the lower side of the tail section. The guns are also visible on this truly great dive. Lunch will be on board while the afternoon diving will take place in this spectacular area. If desired, you may take a short trip on shore to see the resident cassowary bird

(And info on the Papua Diving website):

http://www.papua-diving.com/Diving-Wreck.html

Which liveabaord are you looking at? I've looked at the Pelagian, the Kararu and a few more. But the more I research, the more interested I am in the Papua Diving land-based op. Check out their website thoroughly. And let us all know if you find out more about the region (I just posted a similar request a couple of weeks ago!)

Regards,

Hi PeterJ

Thanks for the info, I will read the website. I am also in many ways encouraged by the lack of info. We are actually already booked on a boat called Shakti from Tribaldiving.com (I think, I did not do the booking). I can hardly wait. I always like to know a bit about the area/history before I go, which is why I am asking (we want to do the best dives after all). We aren't going until November, but I can let you know how it went if you like.

Cheers

Hi Ward,

You'll note, you responded to a post from July 2004. In the interim, I've learned a whole lot more about Raja Ampat. As a matter of fact, I'm booked on the Ondina for this November.

Deb Fugitt, the trip organizer, has a wealth of info on her sites:

http://www.cityseahorse.com/rajaampat.html

This area is "heating up" rapidly with divers. There are numerous new charters scheduled for the region. Time to get there before environmental and political concerns take their toll!

Best,

Peter

Back
Top Bottom