West Palm & Hydro Atlantic June 12-13 -- trip report with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of teaching lately so I haven't been bringing my camera along on my dives. It was time for a change.

On Friday, my daughter and I drove down to West Palm for some rebreather diving aboard Jim Abernethy's Deep Obsession (Bahamas & Palm Beach, Florida Scuba Diving :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures). Due to her college schedule we had not been diving together in quite awhile and it was great to have her as my buddy again. While the viz in West Palm wasn't great, you couldn't beat the weather sunny, 90 degrees, flat seas, and 80 degree water. We were on a recreational boat so we limited ourselves to two dives, each a little over an hour. As there were some junior divers aboard we stayed shallow and did Flower Garden and then Breakers Reef (4th window to turtle mound). There were the usual cast of characters tons of tropical fish, eels, loggerhead and green turtles, etc. However, one small green turtle at the Turtle Mound was mesmerized by my dome port and wouldn't leave us alone. We hung out with him for about 10 minutes near the end of our second dive.

westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2091.jpg

westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2096.jpg

westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2099.jpg

Then on Saturday, we drove down to Boca to dive the Hydro Atlantic with Captain Oliver of Avid Diver Charters (www.aviddivercharters.com). The Hydro Atlantic sits perfectly upright facing south into the prevailing Gulf stream current in about 170 fsw.
She is a real wreck that went down in 1987 while being towed to a salvage yard.

Again, conditions were perfect with warm sunny skies, flat calm seas, and 79 degree water. However, the viz was also spectacular down in Boca. As we got to the site, it was apparent that the current was running around 1.5 knots and it was elected to do a hot drop on the wreck. Capt. Oliver set us up and at the command of "Dive,Dive,Dive" our group of six (five rebreather divers and one lone open circuit diver) dropped in. The drop was absolutely perfect. I swam down through the beautiful blue water and at about 140 fsw landed directly on top of the point of the bow. You can't get a better drop than that!
We spent about 35-40 minutes on the wreck and then about 45-50 minutes of drifting decompression.

The only "problem" was that my daughter developed a significant diluent leak through her BOV during the dive. At first, she simply turned off the diluent and used her bottom mix of bailout to inflate her BC and for set point maintenance. Then the leak got significantly worse near the end of the dive and she decided to abort to open circuit bailout with a 45 minute deco obligation. This is why you plan for these things. We stayed together and she very calmly performed her deco while drifting in the Gulf Stream using first her 30 cu ft bottle of EAN 26 and then her 30 cu ft. bottle of EAN 80, venting the counterlungs as needed. In fact, it went so well that, after boarding the boat, one of the other divers asked if we were practicing skills. He didn'y realize at first that we'd had a problem. Kudos to my daughter for a job well done. There is no substitute for dive planning, drills, and practice, practice, practice. I was proud of her as her father, her buddy, and her CCR instructor. But, I was clearly in "Dad mode" holding her hand through the entire 45 minutes of deco with my open circuit bailout reg in hand to give her at a moment's notice!!!!

Wreck of the Hydro Atlantic
westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2135.jpg

westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2139.jpg

Our lone open circuit diver

westpalm&hydroatlanticjune2009img_2128.jpg

Other photos are here:

debersole.com

Safe diving everyone!

Doug

I agree. I love those turtle shots. The wreck shots are also pretty cool. Almost looks like you photoshopped a frame onto the pictures.

Thnx for the report and the great pix

Late to the party, but great images Doug !

Awesome pictures Doug. Sounds like a couple of wonderful dives with a wonderful kid :wink:

Thanks, everyone. It was just really great to get back in the water with my daughter and with a camera in hand after a couple of months of sinkholes and caves. Don't flame me -- sinkholes and caves make for nice diving. It's just I prefer warm water and pretty fish. Throw in my daughter as my buddy and it's got the making of a truly wonderful day!

Back
Top Bottom