West Maui Recos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizzzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

My family and I are headed to Maui next month and I'm looking for recommendations for some easy (junior-friendly) dives, either shore or boat. I want to be sensitive to the impact of last year's tragic fires on both local dive operations and sites, and would appreciate any insights on that end. A few questions, although I'm open to any info y'all have:
  • Boat vs. shore? I'll be taking my 12 year old, who's about to get certified. Which is better this time of year? I've gone diving in Kona and Kauai, but this is my first time in Maui.
  • West Maui dive shop recos? (Ideally, we'll do a day of diving on W. Maui, but if need be I can head south.)
  • Sites: I know diving at Mala Wharf is up and running, but is this...okay? I'm curious how locals feel about this, as I definitely don't want to be disrespectful. I'm also curious for updates on water testing in that area, since I haven't seen any and there were concerns after the fires.
Thank you!

Hi all,

My family and I are headed to Maui next month and I'm looking for recommendations for some easy (junior-friendly) dives, either shore or boat. I want to be sensitive to the impact of last year's tragic fires on both local dive operations and sites, and would appreciate any insights on that end. A few questions, although I'm open to any info y'all have:
  • Boat vs. shore? I'll be taking my 12 year old, who's about to get certified. Which is better this time of year? I've gone diving in Kona and Kauai, but this is my first time in Maui.
  • West Maui dive shop recos? (Ideally, we'll do a day of diving on W. Maui, but if need be I can head south.)
  • Sites: I know diving at Mala Wharf is up and running, but is this...okay? I'm curious how locals feel about this, as I definitely don't want to be disrespectful. I'm also curious for updates on water testing in that area, since I haven't seen any and there were concerns after the fires.
Thank you!
Wi. Maui Diving is fabulous right now. Mala is good, as is Black Rock. Airport is great, although the entry/exit can be moderately difficult.
There really are no dive shops on W. Maui anymore, but there are a lot of legit local operators.
DM me if you want more information/references.
Here's our last BR dive:

I would consider Molokini (and Turtle Town!) boat trip from Maalaea harbor. We used Maui Dreams, solid op.

Honolua and Kapalua bay are both very easy to dive from the shore without a guide. My daughter was certified at 10, first diving in the ocean at 11 years old. She didn’t enjoy a lot of surge, so she didn’t like mala (not that surge is bad there, this was her first time in the ocean beyond playing in the surf at the beach). She really enjoyed both Kapalua and honolua. They are very protected from any surf.

Our last trip was about two weeks before the fire, so I’m not sure how accessible rental equipment is on the west side of the island. My family is heading out next July. We have our own gear, so all we need is tanks and weights.

If you have your own gear shore diving is the least expensive activity you’ll do on the island.

Hi all,

Thank you!
Hi
You might consider diving the old Mala Pier. It is in Lahaina, just behind the Cannery. I have dived there many times, including two weeks ago. White tipped sharks and turtles are common. Shore entry, although some do it by boat. Just follow the old pier out and plenty to see. You will need a dive flag too. Maximum depth is 32 feet. The entry requires a walk for 100 feet or so. Most wear their tank and walking out through the small surf, over rocks. I find floating the BC and talk until the water is deep enough to put the tank on is while using the old pier for stability is easier. Once you get out and the depth is more than 15 feet the visibility is often very good.

Another easy entry shore dive is Kapalua Bay. Beautiful place. Not as much to see as at Mala pier, but a nice dive, but a bit more swimming. Some use an underwater scooter here.

Hi
You might consider diving the old Mala Pier. It is in Lahaina, just behind the Cannery. I have dived there many times, including two weeks ago. White tipped sharks and turtles are common. Shore entry, although some do it by boat. Just follow the old pier out and plenty to see. You will need a dive flag too. Maximum depth is 32 feet. The entry requires a walk for 100 feet or so. Most wear their tank and walking out through the small surf, over rocks. I find floating the BC and talk until the water is deep enough to put the tank on is while using the old pier for stability is easier. Once you get out and the depth is more than 15 feet the visibility is often very good.

Another easy entry shore dive is Kapalua Bay. Beautiful place. Not as much to see as at Mala pier, but a nice dive, but a bit more swimming. Some use an underwater scooter here.
A good place to rent gear on the Lahaina side is Aloha Maui Diving and Westside Air (same place); Closed on Sundays. Check as their hours can very. Contact: (808) 495-9559; 130 Kupuohi St D4, Lahaina, HI 96761. This shop is terrific! They never give grief about solo diving, and they have free weights they will rent. Many will only rent integrated weights.

Has anyone dived McGregor Point, just off the Honopi"ilani Hwy, and a short dirt road to the water. This is just west of the Kapoli Beach Park. Seems like it could be an easier shore dive. Any info appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom