Well known expert within Florida Keys dive industry lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver remains missing Friday

By Jessica Machetta jmachetta@keynoter.com
Posted-Friday, September 15, 2006 7:18 PM EDT

Dive community stunned by news of (name removed)

(name removed), 28, of Marathon disappeared while free diving in waters off Islamorada Thursday, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and U.S. Coast Guard.

The search continued late into Friday with no success.

According to a report filed by Deputy Johnny Perez, witnesses say (name removed)
was on a boat with three other men 7 to 9 miles offshore of Islamorada. One of the men reportedly said (he) decided not to do the dive and was going to stay in the boat because of trouble with a contact lens.

Perez reports one witness said he'd been in the water about half an hour when he saw (name removed) swimming nearby around 2 p.m., saw him dive down a bit, swimming away from him, and that was the last he saw of him.

Reportedly, the witness said about a half an hour later they attempted to signal (he) in the boat to send down a line and bring up some equipment. The witness said (he) didn't respond, so one diver went to the surface and found the boat empty.

After finishing their decompression stop, the other divers reportedly boarded and notified the Coast Guard.

Ensign Michael Bell told the Keynoter late Friday that the Coast Guard was still actively searching with the help of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission both on the water and from the air.

(Name removed) is well known as an expert within the local dive industry, and other dive professionals, captains and pilots quickly joined the search.
Then from Tampa Bays 10.com News
Search called off for diver missing Florida Keys
ISLAMORADA, Fla. (AP) -- The Coast Guard has called of its search for a diver missing off the Florida Keys.

(Name removed) of Marathon was reported missing Thursday during a dive trip off Alligator Reef.

The Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission had been searching the 300-foot-deep waters where (he) had been diving with companions.

A diver I know is close to this group, and he understands that they were collecting tropical fish. His boat mates think it may have been a shallow water black out.

I'm hearing the same thing from my friends close to the situation.

Rachel

Walter:
This thread is useless with the name removed.
Well...he was a well known expert though.

I'm just going to punch my keyboard a few times..if you see a name come out of it then I guess I got lucky......I'm also pretty sure it would be untraceable in a web search since that's what I hear is the biggest reason for not naming anyone.....

<puch punch>

H!e@a#t$h L%a^e&t*a(r)i

<punch punch>

Or you can always go read it on another board....<cough cough> T!D@S :)

The things I won't do for you Walter. :D

Scuba_Steve:
Holy, you're psychic Walter!!!
I heard he has other attributes too. :D

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom