Well…It’s not another double hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all. Hope you’re all doing well after the holidays. I was away home for work but will be back soon.

Seeing as I was away, and bored, I was doing a little surfing/shopping online. Thankfully I can’t have bourbon at work or this could have been way worse.

I found, bid on, and bought a compressor………….sh!t.

I found a Cornelius 3000psi compressor head. Pictures look clean but the guy didn’t know much about it as he supposedly got it at an estate sale or something. The hydraulic pack and 27V motor have already been removed and a new set of belts are on it. It looks like it was someone’s project that they never got around to. Now it’s my project. Just what I needed.

I know nothing about these compressors other than they were kind of loud but pretty robust. This one has a 3000 psi plate and is rated at 2 cfm which is plenty for my diving needs. I hate going to a shop just to get a tank topped up. I know this is a project and that some of you might think it’s a waste of money but I’m going to do it anyway, or attempt to until I get frustrated. Then, I’ll sell it to one of you to complete.

As I know nothing about rigging one of these, and I’m admitting that I don’t know, what should I begin looking for? I’m thinking a repackable filter stack, moisture separator, and better intake filter in addition to the electric motor, which I want to be 110v. Is there an intake muffler that helps quiet these a little or is that just a pipe dream?

The frame will be hobofied based off designs I’ve seen on the web of other peoples conversions. There are some really neat little portable units based on this compressor head around. Any suggestions from you guys that have any experience with these would be appreciated. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.

I’ll update with pictures as soon as I get to see this in person.

Thanks.
Safe Diving
C-

Solberg silencer will quiet it down considerably and if you aren't moving it around, remote mount the intake. Most of the noise comes from the intake with the bulk of the balance from the fan so if you can get the intake outside, it makes a huge difference. Small hole in garage wall or just a piece of flex hose run outside away from any exhaust.

Filters are filters, so the bigger you get the less you'll have to replace them but if you want it portable then you'll have to think about that with the frame design.

Has anybody added a Coltri canister from Nuvair air to a Cornelius? I think the canister is for the MCH6 or something like that. I've heard the life is not long and there not too efficient with 4 cfm machines because of limited dwell time but would it be adequate for a 2 cfm machine like the Cornelius?

Where can I find a small filter canister that I can use repackable filters in?

Another question, what size 110v motor do I need to run these small compressor?

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year.

Where can I find a small filter canister that I can use repackable filters in?

Another question, what size 110v motor do I need to run these small compressor?

Have used modified hyd cylinder in the past, for a filter,
I believe 3000psi on that compressor is pushing it, but I am sure it can do it,

Have to look,
but get the biggest 110v motor you can get. I believe it's a 2 hp, you might be able to get away with 1.5hp but I think its borderline,
Probably a 1750 rpm be the best,
It will have good start up torque,

I have always wonder if the compressor was left alone and added a 27V ( AC to DC ) power supply converter if it would work.​

I have this cute little compressor that I picked up, not sure what to use it for... but one day I'll find a use,
It can be mechanically driven with electric backup it seems,
20220209_190011.jpg
20220209_190032.jpg

Those were used and converted to scuba compressors for years. Im not sure those will go to 3000 but i think they will fill lp tanks albeit slowly.

I hope you get it running!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom