Welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Iya,

Thank you for your questions!

The Lifeline is capable of 2 watts of output power, but is adjustable to 1 watt. 

The speaker is rated .8 watts, which is loud enough for all weather conditions and virtually identical to the loudness of M88. The speaker itself is IP67 rated waterproof and will survive multiple submersion’s no deeper than 1m (3ft.). 

We thank you for your excellent suggestions and observations you’ve made on our competitor’s products and we are happy to say that these measures were top priority when we designed the Lifeline’s top enclosure. We have a waterproof audio transparent membrane protecting the speaker. We’ve also designed a small slope at the base of the grill so that water will naturally drain away from the grill.  However, having said this, you would appreciate that real world use will introduce constantly changing conditions and that some user intervention (i.e. shaking the device to clear water) may be required.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Margaret

My LDS just called me and said they had them in stock!!!!

I am going to go down and check it out.:D

Very concerned and unhappy that the unit cannot be set up or upgraded on a Mac. I bought one of the first units available. I have tried twice and no go. Just got off the line with Nautilus support. Correcting this needs to be highest priority, and the lack of full Mac compatibility needs to be disclosed on both the sales and support pages. Right now, the info available gives the impression it is possible after you jump through some hoops. Today I was told unequivocally that it will not work with the Mac at this time, and I need to find a PC. Guess I will have to see if parallels or VMware fusion will work, since all my friends are also Mac users!!!! Very displeased.

Hi Divegirl412.

The Lifeline is capable to do registration andsetup through a MAC but not a firmware upgrade. This is something we areworking on currently and are hoping to release in the first or second quarterof 2013. If you need any help we are happy to provide you with technicalsupport at techsupport@nautiluslifeline.com orthrough livechat on our website.

Cheers,
The Lifeline Team.

Dear all,
Do not be too concerned about 2 watts. VHF radio signals are "line of sight" - that is if your antenna can see the other antenna they will communicate. The curvature of the earth and the height of the antennas is the limiting factor. The power setting does not effect this - a higher power will improve to some extent in poor weather conditions but like I said height of antennas is the main element.

Matt
(GMDSS COC)

HI
I've been considering purchasing one of these units (thanks to the key man discount!!!), but have a few questions. I understand that the distress signal works on VHF signal and not actual epirb channels, right?
In distress mode, can the lid be closed to maintain water tightness, or must it be open and held at or above water level to transmit, i.e. do I have to hold my arm up the whole time I'm hoping to be rescued?
Does the unit float?
About how long does the GPS feature take to triangulate a position? Is the position displayed at all times while on the surface?
Is it fully Mac compatible yet?

Great product, very impressed, bought 2 units.
Question: What's the 'nature of distress' message it sends?
my 2c:
a)Would like to have the possibility to switch from Continuous Position Reports to Emergency Distress in the unit at the surface [important in the scenario that your boat is not paying any attention and they are not realising that you drifted more than you should or there is an obstruction in the line of sight]
b)Would like the buttons [especially the green & orange] to be a bit bigger and protrude more from the top of the casing. It is difficult to sense if the button is actually pressed with bare hands and with thick gloves even more difficult
c)Would like the USB cover to be attached so that it can not get lost [like the terminal covers in DSLRs these days] WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Hi STX MSDT, thank you for your questions.

You are correct that the Lifeline uses the marine VHF frequencies and DSC for communication/distress as opposed to an EPIRB which sends an emergency signal via satellite.

With Distress Mode activated, you should definitely leave the lid open with the antenna extended. This way, you can maximize the range of the DSC signal.

The Lifeline floats with the lid closed. The Lifeline will acquire a GPS lock within 30 seconds assuming you have a clear view of the sky and much faster than that if you have recently acquired a position nearby and yes, it will display your position on the LCD screen at all times when the Lifeline is powered on.

The Desktop Software is compatible with Macs, however, doing a firmware update will require a bit more work than on a PC. The procedure can be found here: Nautilus Lifeline Support Troubleshooting MMSI

Please feel free to contact us at techsupport@nautiluslifeline.com if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
The Lifeline Team

Back
Top Bottom