Welcome to the newest and oldest US National certification agency!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an SEI Assistant Instructor completing the SEI Instructor Institute in a couple of weeks. My OW was NAUI and most of my other certifications including DM were with YMCA. I love the high standards and values that have continued with SEI...it is an exceptional program and I am proud to be teaching with the organization. To the last poster, SEI just launched an updated website recently...were you able to find what you were looking for?

The new site is definitely much better. I still can't seem to find a way to search for local instructors online though.

That is still in the works. And instructors as I understand it would have to opt in. Right now the best option is to call or email HQ.

I'm a CMAS 2* diver, I've heard that SEI has dual cert. if I want to take Rescue and a 3* class when I reach the 100 dives. Would I receive a SEI/CMAS card?
Furthermore, are there SEI instructor in QC, CANADA?

For the SEI website:
Just a suggestion, please put an instructor finder or directory. I can't find any way except to contact SEI to get an instructor, is there an instructor in Canada, QC?
2nd suggestion, this is purely my opinion but I find the videos on the website too "poetic" and long, I like them but some people would go "booooring" and skip it.
3rd suggestion, put a "CONTACT US" or "FIND AN INSTRUCTOR" at the end of "BECOME A DIVER" so you can contact SEI to find an instructor. It would be more user friendly.

I've spoken with a lot of PADI divers and it always ends up "ah yes, you did that in OW? We didn't." I find that the skills I learned with CMAS prepared me better than other divers, I'd like to repeat the experience and it looks like SEI can offer me what I want.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'm a CMAS 2* diver, I've heard that SEI has dual cert. if I want to take Rescue and a 3* class when I reach the 100 dives. Would I receive a SEI/CMAS card?
Furthermore, are there SEI instructor in QC, CANADA?

For the SEI website:
Just a suggestion, please put an instructor finder or directory. I can't find any way except to contact SEI to get an instructor, is there an instructor in Canada, QC?
2nd suggestion, this is purely my opinion but I find the videos on the website too "poetic" and long, I like them but some people would go "booooring" and skip it.
3rd suggestion, put a "CONTACT US" or "FIND AN INSTRUCTOR" at the end of "BECOME A DIVER" so you can contact SEI to find an instructor. It would be more user friendly.

I've spoken with a lot of PADI divers and it always ends up "ah yes, you did that in OW? We didn't." I find that the skills I learned with CMAS prepared me better than other divers, I'd like to repeat the experience and it looks like SEI can offer me what I want.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

I'll take your queries in order starting with the SEI/CMAS dual cert.
First of all it is not a actually a dual cert. They are two separate cards and not all SEI instructors may offer them. Only the ones that opted in to issue the CMAS cards.

Next we issue CMAS cards with the required equivalencies fulfilled
DIVER
CMAS SEI Diving
1 Star Diver Open Water Diver (age 15+)
2 Star Diver Advanced OW (age 15+ w/ 20 logged dives)
3 Star Diver Advanced Plus Diver (age 16+ w/ 50 logged dives)
4 Star Diver Master Diver + DRAM Rescue Diver + 100 logged dives

You do not need the Rescue but it is a great idea and great class for any diver. The Advanced Plus Rating could be earned by taking the class or showing me equivalent skills,experience, knowledge, and performance in those areas. I would also require you to do some dives and skill demos with me. If you had the required number of dives in addition to that I could issue a CMAS card.

There are SEI Instructors in Canada but the ones I have contact info for are in Ontario.

But even then SEI instructors in Canada may not issue CMAS cards unless they are certed to do so by the Canadian agency recogized to issue CMAS certs. SEI Instructors can only issue CMAS certs in the US. Here is the info for CMAS in Quebec:
ASSOCIATION DES MONITEURS DE LA C.M.A.S. DU QUEBEC
Code: CAN/F05
Name:ASSOCIATION DES MONITEURS DE LA C.M.A.S. DU QUEBEC (A.M.C.Q.)Country:Canada
Address:233, Rodin, G1C 6R6, Quebec, H3B 3K9
E-mail:info@cmasquebec.org
Phone:418/660 11 36
Fax:+
Web:CMAS QUÉBEC, c'est l?association des moniteurs de la CMAS du Québec (CMAS-Québec) est la fédération Canadienne autorisée à délivrer les brevets techniques et scientifiques conformément aux normes reconnues internationalement par la CMAS.
President:pellettier Chantal
Vice-President:Marcel Claude
General Secretary:Rivet Danielle
CMAS Affiliation in
Scientific Committee with voting right
Technical Committee with voting right

If you want a CMAS card from an SEI Instructor you would need to travel to the US to train and get it. I have a rescue class July 30 and 31 in fact.:D

For the website : we are working on it. Not fast enough I feel but it is on a to do list. Instructors will need to opt in and I hope it comes soon.

The contact page can be accessed from every page by hitting the contact tab but I will pass on your suggestion. I agree that it should be more prominent. In fact I see three places where it would good to put it.

SEI can offer you the training that you are looking for. Unfortunately you might have to travel to get some of that training. I have students come to me from along the East Coast of the US. I try to tailor classes to fit their needs and schedules. I enjoy putting on advanced and specialty classes for those who want to further their education.

I strongly urge you to call or email SEI HQ and ask them about your options in Quebec.

For info on training with me you cna visit my site at Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

Thanks for your post.

Back
Top Bottom