Welcome New Members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We have had a number of new Captains join our forum lately, but I haven't seen any posts from the new members.

Come on guys, jump in and introduce yourselves and tell us a little about you! This forum could be a great resource for us, but only if we all contribute.

It's taken me a while to get some time to look over the site. For someone new to online forums, this place is amazing. I'm so busy reading what's going on that I never get around to posting anything. But anyway, Thank you Captain James for taking the time to get us newbies going on this. I hope to visit you soon at Tortuga Charters for some real wreck diving, not this bathtub warm stuff we have in the Keys. Actually I'll probably bite my mouthpiece in half is the water is below 70 degrees. It's been a while since I've done any cold water.

Actually I'll probably bite my mouthpiece in half is the water is below 70 degrees. It's been a while since I've done any cold water.

Don't confuse us with Jersey, or even the Hatteras area where the gulfstream and Labrador currents mix, we are in the 70's offshore by the end of April and low 80's by July. As a matter of fact the gulfstream means we are just recycling Keys water :D

Welcome to the board and we look forward to your contribution.

welcome captain!

I'm brand-new to this forum, glad to be here.

Just renewed my dusty 100-ton aux. sail license for 7th issue. I mostly practice maritime law here in New Orleans and was in the Coast Guard before that, but also teach some sailing on the side. Been diving about 11 years and would like to do some second-captain or mate fill-ins as time permits, and more as I move towards "retirement". Did this once on a liveaboard as a try-out, was interesting maneuvering with triple-screw and 1600hp as opposed to the 30hp sail auxiliaries I'm more used to.

Hi all,

I'm Rex Houchins. I have a 42ft Catalina sail boat that I charter out of Elliot Bay Marina in Seattle. Most of my charters are day trips in the local area. I also do a few longer, multi-day, trips up to the San Juan Islands. The charter business is a sideline to my normal (read “Paying&#8221:wink: career as a computer geek.

I’m currently signed up to get certified for the third time. First cert was NASDS in 74 at age 14. I then went to Hawaii in the army, lost my C-card and broke out the $35 to take a NAUI class with a couple of my buddies. I did a ton of shore diving in HI over the next 3 years. We could rent full tanks for $3.50. This was cheaper than a refill at the LDS so we would just carry extra full tanks. Picture a 71 Corolla with 4 guys in the car, 8 steel 72s in the trunk and 4 gear bags lashed to the roof and you get the idea.

After the service I moved to MN and bought a custom wetsuit and started diving in the lakes. Unfortunately, I discovered that I was pretty spoiled by Hawaii diving. That and the addition of a wife and some little folk put me off of diving.

Now that my kids are grown, I’m retaking a full PADI class with them. I may continue my scuba education up to the Dive master level or higher as an option for early/semi/retirement.

I would love to hear from other skippers in their 50’s that are currently working as Captains/dive masters/instructors.

Also; anyone that is running dive charters on Sailboats.

Hi Rex,
I ran divers on sailboats back in the 70's and the thing I remember most is trying to get them back on board. If you don't have a good boarding system you'll need a dingy that you can get them into and then from there into the sailboat.
Good luck,
Brad Neat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom