Weird stuff missing from the store shelves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of toilet paper, lots of food, lots of this n that, some masks, ... but no Dettol.

Best friend was infected and hospitalised, family tested negative and was isolated at home. I was tasked with buying Dettol to disinfect the house. Lots of people buying Dettol. Rubbing alcohol also good as disinfectant.

Weirdly, salted butter, by the pound. Empty shelves; but an abundance of unsalted butter, next shelf down -- because it is such a colossal effort to add salt to a dish . . .

Hey it is stressful enough without worrying about having to do extra work!

Lots of toilet paper, lots of food, lots of this n that, some masks, ... but no Dettol.

Best friend was infected and hospitalised, family tested negative and was isolated at home. I was tasked with buying Dettol to disinfect the house. Lots of people buying Dettol. Rubbing alcohol also good as disinfectant.

None of your friend's immediate family became ill? Could they have possibly had it first I wonder.

There is so much skewed data and wild conjecture out there about the virus. In spite os the constant barragement it is a unique opportunity to encounter someone with first hand knowledge.

What was your experience? If you don't mind.

Produce was available in my local store, except for potatoes and carrots. Potatoes I can see, but I was surprised that there wasn’t a carrot in the store!

Weirdly -- salted butter, by the pound. Empty shelves; but an abundance of unsalted butter, next shelf down -- because it is such a colossal effort to add salt to a dish . . .

I was informed that salted butter has a longer shelf life, by double.

Seafood case was full and they were keeping the produce restocked. Also, plenty of canned tuna (i'm going to be so sick of it by the end of this panic buying nonsense). There was also a ton of bacon and brats in the butcher case. All the canned fruit, yet the fresh produce section was full.

In central Texas, deli and bakery departments are shuddered. On the bread isle, you can't buy a tortilla to save your soul. Picking are slim in loafs of bread but there is generally an option in stock. In frozen foods, great selection with few holes in the shelves. My guess is that the freezer are full to the gills at this point.

Eggs are generally in good supply but you can forget about fat free milk. Beef, chicken, and pork have been restocked and inventory is holding. For a couple days easy to see what Americans liked the least (turkey).

Most importantly, beer is plentiful and gas is getting to be dirt cheap ($1.77 a gallon).

Back
Top Bottom