Weird Spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone tell my what and why i got this weird spot halfmoon thing on my digital photos? It is a Sony Mavica FD91 in an Ikelite Housing.

I hope I can figure out how to post picture, here goes.

It could be a backflash/reflection of the internal flash. Check your lens also there could be a waterspot on it. Does it happen out of water too?
I had the same thing at xmas time. I took a bunch of pics at the family gathering. About halfway thru it starts to look like there is a ghost in the corner of my pics. I couldn't figure it out, I thought it was maybe the memory stick or the CCD sensor going bad or got too close to a magnet or somthing. Finally I looked and there was a tiny little gravy finger print up in the corner of the lens thanks to my niece and her love of mashed potatos and gravy.

Are these underwater or topside photos? If U/W, what housing are you using?

Norcaldiver has a good point. Some housings will reflect the internal flash if it isn't blocked properly.

Only the underwater shots have it. It could be that I did not disable the internal flash......good point. I am unable to post a picture yet. I will work on that. Thanks, it is an Ikelite housing for the Mavica FD91.

Here's the pic thatshe was talking about. I'm posting it for her so you guys can give her your ideas. I'm saying reflection of the lens off the housing's lens.

Looks like reflection to me, too.

I really appreciate your input. Do you have any prevention tips?

I haven't seen the mavica housing, but looking at the photos of it on the Ikelite page, you may try to block the top of the lens port opening on the camera to prevent the light from the strobe from getting in. A strip of black neoprene glued to the inside, around the lens port opening, between it and the body of the camera, may be able to do the trick. You can also try e-mailing Ike at Ikelite, they may have a fix already available for your housing if it's a common problem. Good luck!

-Roman.

Take a look here as this very issue was discussed on DD a while ago....As suggested take pics in and out of the housing to see if it is absent when not in the housing…As notabob suggests there should be a foam ring inside the lens port that will help block light from reaching down the barrel and reflecting off the inside of the housings lens

Thanks so much, I'll see what I can do! I did think condensation at first but in few pics, it was very evident that was light instead. I'll try to make a little hood to prevent the light. Great advice guys, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom