weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbtide

Reaction score
hello all ,
ive been diving since last spring and here it is febuary 1 ,
ive been reading on allot of forums and ive landed here .
ive noticed that yes there are allot of people that dont need very mutch weight to help there dive and become negative boyant , but there are thoes of US who for some odd strange reason need a unreal amount of weight , ive got a 7.5 mm bare wetsuit and it floats me like a cork , ive got a 50 lb weight belt and 4 to 8 lbs of lead in the bc depending on the salinity of the water ive seen trying to dive head first and my feet out of the water with less weight .
ive put in a couple dives to 65 feet or so but nothing mutch deeper than that looking foreward to making a deeper dive this spring when the cold atlantic ocean warms up a wee bit i just wish i was like Badfish and loose more weight .
i suppose my size has some to do with it 5ft10 and 250 lbs .:)

How did you arrive at that figure to determine how much weight to use? It does seem like a lot to me. I am 5-10 and with my 5mm it takes about 9 or 10 pounds to keep me down in fresh water.

I imagine some of that lipid stuff is causing some floatation. Keeping in good shape is also very good for getting rid of those nasty nitrogen bubbles, better cardio system=better off gassing.

Tommy

well it was through trial and error i forgot to mention that that was salt water diving
i havent dont any lake diving yet ,

Yo

Lot of starting divers put to much weight on their belt. A peak-performance-buoyancy course usually is an eye opener: lot of weight can be removed.

Be sure to deflate your stabjack completely. Any air left in it has to be compensated by putting weight on the belt.

Ideally, you should put that much weight on your belt that you remain floating at the surface, when all air is out of your stabjack and you fully breathed in. Breathing out should make you sink. Put 1 or 2 lbs extra to compensate for the weight loss when your tank is running empty.

Have a try on your own to experiment

Bye

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom