Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krusty

Reaction score
Im wondering what is the easiest way to figure out how much weight i need to use. Im 511 about 250 (working on this now) i dive a zeagle ranger with internal weight and weight belt. Kast time i was in water i had problem sinking.

Krusty,

Here is a link to a website that has a worksheet to estimate how much weight you need. Sounds as if you have dove in the past? If so do you remember how much weight you carried??? How much you weighed at that time??? Compare that to now and that is a starting point.

So many factors play into how much weight...your body weight/body composition (fat vs muscle), what type of suit you are wearing, wet vs dry, neop. vs trilam, your undergarments, what type of tank, aluminum or steel...how efficient you are at your breathing underwater. So we need more information to help you... But what I would recommend is you get a rough estimate...carry several different weights of different mass, like 2, 3, 5 lbs. And try it out...up till recently I always did a weight check from the surface at the beginning/end of a dive to see my weighting...I have learned differently now..it also depends on the pressure in your tank...a very amazing diver took me down after our dive we purged the air out of my tank at about 10 feet, down to 500psi..that is how we did it, I find it to be a more efficient way to be honest with you.

My opinion is this...some may disagree with it...do one of two things..get geared up with 500psi in a tank see if you can stay at 10feet. Or go to a dive after using that website link, add a little extra weight, 6lbs tops..do a weight check before the dive and make any neccasary changes..then dive and return to your 3 minute safety stop at 1000, purge to 500 and check your weight then.

That link is pretty in depth, one time I found a link online ot a calculator of a person's weight to how much lead one needed...can't find it..

However ask a Diving Instructor, they would know best...Please remember to bring an experienced diver with you when testing out your weight.

Hope this helps, Annette

http://dive.scubadiving.com/html/200105buoyancycalc_chart.html

Krusty:
Im wondering what is the easiest way to figure out how much weight i need to use. Im 511 about 250 (working on this now) i dive a zeagle ranger with internal weight and weight belt. Kast time i was in water i had problem sinking.

As Underwatergirl pointed out, your goal should be to be neutral with an empty BC, a near-empty tank, and breathing normally near the surface. In this way, you can complete your safety stop in comfort and always remain neutral throughout the dive by adding a bit of air to your BC.

If do this at a safety stop on a dive or in a pool, add one pound of lead for each 500 psi in your single tank and 2.5% of your total weight - you plus all gear - if your safety stop is in fresh water and you want to weight yourself for salt water. That should get you very close. Remember, however, that significant changes in gear, such as diving doubles instead of singles or a thick full wetsuit instead of a shortie will make a big difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom