Weights - DIR way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I can offer some perspective from the perspective of a recreational DIR diver. Perhaps one of the big dogs will weigh in.

The issue of ditchable or non-ditchable weights is a mute point. The thinking goes like this. Proper weighting requires that you think of the cylinder type (weight) and weight of gas at the beginning of the dive/ exposure protection (its buoyancy characteristics) body type (floater or sinker) and environment (salt or fresh) and any additional weights as a unit. You should be able to swim your way to the surface in the event of a catastrophic loss of your wing or the loss of any other buoyancy device… i.e. dry suit or lift bag/ surface marker that you may be carrying. If you can’t swim your way up you have a problem…

Also remember that you are diving as a team and that your team members will be at hand to give you assistance in the event of complete buoyancy failure.

BigJetDriver69:
A weight harness, such as the DUI Weight and Trim II, BJD

The harness is not DIR and not needed for 4-8 pounds.

Thanks everybody for opinions.

Now my next question is going to be - if I don't have any dichable weights - I should be able to swim up _at least_ weights of gas in my tanks at the beginning of the dive, right? Which in my case is around 15lb. Is it considered to be acceptable? I know that I've got to try it myself, but anyway?

salty:
The harness is not DIR and not needed for 4-8 pounds.
Why isn't a harness DIR?

The interesting thing is that it looks like my post was deleted, and no one told me.

UWSojourner:
Why isn't a harness DIR?

a weight belt pockets/suspenders will have these very long pull down flaps flying around... that jus adds convolution to your whole setup. Also those big yellow pull-out loops are just another entanglement hazard. anything can catch through those loops and pull on it or trap you - hence it's not DIR. That's just my observation.

VTernovski:
a weight belt pockets/suspenders will have these very long pull down flaps flying around... that jus adds convolution to your whole setup. Also those big yellow pull-out loops are just another entanglement hazard. anything can catch through those loops and pull on it or trap you - hence it's not DIR. That's just my observation.

Thanks for the explanation.

BigJetDriver69:
Gentlemen,

My apologies for my earlier cranky response!

BJD :anakinpod
Couldn't tell it was a cranky one, looked very polite as you always are!

All the best, James

(edit)
Oops... after reading Jon's post, obviously I came into something late...still...takes a real gentleman to appoligize...

I has a Trim II. The adjusters would not hold their adjustment and there is not a fore-aft adjustment like on the original DUI Weight & Trim belt that is still available. If you buy on of these, go for the original.
Greg

BigJetDriver69:
All,

A weight harness, such as the DUI Weight and Trim II, is far more comfortable than a standard weight belt. It is much kinder to your back. It also makes ditching half of your weight easy and makes worrying about the ole under or over thing a "non-problem". Cheers!

BJD :anakinpod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom