Weightloss = adjust the weight belt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UtahGetMe2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently lost 100 lbs and as I was packing my gear for my trip on Saturday, I realized that I would require much less weight in my BC.

I used to weigh 320 lbs and required 32 lbs with no wetsuit on. I realize everyone is different, but does anyone have an idea of about how much I would need at my current weight of 220 lbs?

I am going to email the dive op and see if I can get to the shop early and just test my weight, but I'd like to see what a good starting weight would be for that.

You don't mention your exposure gear and water you will be diving in. For ocean dives try this:

no exposure suit = 6-8% body weight.

3 mm wetsuit = 8% body weight

5 mm wetsuit = 10% + 3-5 lbs.

7 mm wetsuit = 10% + 5 lbs.

All calculations are guestimates. Since you are more buoyant in salt water you may need few extra lbs for fresh water. As always a formal weight check prior to diving is always recommended. If diving from a boat try to be the first one in the water with small weights on the side for a weight check. Tell the crew your plans and they should be happy to help as well. Don't forget, you may need add weight as well to compensate for +3-5 lbs buoyancy on rental AL80 tanks, especially if doing weight check with full tank prior to dive. A more accurate test is at the end of a dive with empty tank (or use steel tanks!)

Thanks for the quick responses!

I will be diving in the ocean with no exposure suit.

Cannon: That calculator link doesnt appear to be working.

Wllie: by this math it appears that i'll need 13-18 lbs

With weight loss, nothing can surpass a weight check. I was 170kg and used to dive with 13kg of lead, a SS BP/W & 12L steel tank in a 3mm in salt water. I am now down to 107kg and dive with 3kg, SS BP/W & a 12L steel tank. Using even 10% as a rule would have seen me drop like a stone.

By loosing "biopreane" I became so much more comfortable in the water that I needed less weight to sink. As it sits now, I am ever so slightly positive when my tank is at 50bar @ 6m. My RMV also dropped from 21L/Min to 12L/Min - so it has done wonders for my air consumption.

I suspect you were over-weighted when you were using 32 lb or diving some prettyy buoyant gear. Just running the numbers, 100 lb of fat (density of about .9) should require about 11 lb of lead to make it neutral. So, a reasonable start point should be 21 lb. Then work your way down from there. I weigh about 220, the Dr. is riding my a$$ over too much fat, and I use only 8 lb in SW.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I will be diving in the ocean with no exposure suit.

Cannon: That calculator link doesnt appear to be working.

Wllie: by this math it appears that i'll need 13-18 lbs

Of course do the formal wt. check, but I think you're probably in the ballpark. I use 12 lbs. wearing just the body suit. I weigh between 190 and 200. I have been told that the 41 lbs. I need with a 7 mil wetauit is too much, but that is simply not true. Everyone differs. I also notice no need to change weighting if I'm 200 as opposed to 190.

I am 280 and go down with 18lbs no suit,ocean diving, once I got my breathing under control is was much easier to drop with less weight, I have now dropped 20 pounds and fully expect to be down to 16 and maybe 14# when I dive Jamaica in Feb

Start at 12lbs unless your fluffy, then maybe 14. Have fun, diving with less weight is so much more fun.

I weigh 220 and with a 3mil suit, standard Alum 80 cylinder 10 lbs in salt water works perfect for me. Once you get it dialed in log it so you can use the information for future dives in a similar enviorment and equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom