Weightlifting for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished SDI Sidemount! My "homework" is to complete 20-25 dives to develop my skills and get more comfortable, then assess my readiness for TDI Sidemount in lieu of Intro to Tech (rinse/repeat cycles as needed).

For Day 1 in the pool, I struggled mightily with the unclipping-swimming with tanks held in front-reclipping task. I was trying this with steel HP 80 tanks, which are simply too heavy for my current skill level and upper body strength.

I brought AL 80s for open water dives on Day 2 and was able to successfully complete all clipping, Superman impressions, unclipping, and tank removal tasks. I was very happy to learn that I am not merely incompetent when making blind reaches for a bolt snap...

I'm content to use aluminum tanks for my early practice, but I'll want to return to steel sooner than later (Great Lakes diving, dry suit, etc.) so that I can carry less lead.

What weightlifting exercises would be helpful for building upper body strength for swimming with tanks extended?

Pretty much any upper back or shoulder exercises.

Reverse flys, upright and bent over rows...pull ups etc

learn that it isn't a real skill used by the vast majority of divers and forget about it? I can think of a handful of times where I have had to do it and it was all in very advanced cave passages. Some wreck penetration may require double bottle off to get through tiny stuff but that's only for a few feet. You are never actively swimming with them in front of you for any length of time.

HP80's are pretty stumpy and negative tanks, but you should have the bands almost at the bottom which helps a bit. The motion for doing that is a rotational motion of the shoulders which is a relatively uncommon muscle group for most lifting exercises. Anything designed to strengthen your rotator cuff is going to help but bicep work can also help if you hold them up from your biceps.

Never understood why this is taught in recreational sidemount *even TDI sidemount* other than "because it looks cool" because it's not used outside of highly advanced cave or wreck penetration courses

I have never used that "skill", ever. The only ones I have seen use it are in "classes" and it is always aluminums. Tank removal in general may be needed to negotiate a restriction, but I would just be pushing a steel tank in front of me. I saw Lamar trying out a prototype BC pouch for a steel tank that would act to make it neutral but nothing beyond that for steels.

I had my SDI SM class this weekend, too. I had HP80s, as well. They are all I have, so even though I was overweighted in my 3mm (warm quarry water), I muddled through. I had difficulty swinging one forward and swimming with it for a short distance was a hot mess. As I don’t expect to go into cave diving, I suspect I will probably never use the movement.

@Doby45 that guy is for true batsh!t sidemount diving. H valve on the single tank, that's the only one you have, and you are pushing that whole thing thru a long restriction. There is a whopping probably 6 people doing that kind of crazy stuff in the world

It's hard to imagine why you would want to perform this exercise on your Great Lakes dives. Use aluminum tanks to complete the class exercises and then forget about it unless you get into an advanced cave course dealing with with major restrictions.

learn that it isn't a real skill used by the vast majority of divers and forget about it? ... You are never actively swimming with them in front of you for any length of time.

I am delighted to hear it, but will probably continue hitting the gym to make lugging the tanks everywhere else an easier proposition.

horses for courses as other have said its not that often you have to unclip the tanks fro entry but Id imagine if your doing progressive penetration or getting perceive information in readiness you'll know in advance when to have it ready ( as a skill)

learn that it isn't a real skill used by the vast majority of divers and forget about it? I can think of a handful of times where I have had to do it and it was all in very advanced cave passages. Some wreck penetration may require double bottle off to get through tiny stuff but that's only for a few feet. You are never actively swimming with them in front of you for any length of time.

HP80's are pretty stumpy and negative tanks, but you should have the bands almost at the bottom which helps a bit. The motion for doing that is a rotational motion of the shoulders which is a relatively uncommon muscle group for most lifting exercises. Anything designed to strengthen your rotator cuff is going to help but bicep work can also help if you hold them up from your biceps.

Never understood why this is taught in recreational sidemount *even TDI sidemount* other than "because it looks cool" because it's not used outside of highly advanced cave or wreck penetration courses

Like T said, unless you are going to become a SM instructor and need to demo this, or you plan on wicked small penetrations, the skill probably won't get used much. That said, I love doing farmer's walk/carry in the gym. It is a very useful exercise for sidemount IMO. It builds your shoulders, back and legs for carrying tanks some distance out of water, and also works your cardio. I teach at a quarry, and walking in my rig is part of the routine......also, if you work at a dive shop and need to sling tanks around, it is also a very useful exercise.

Back
Top Bottom