Weighting with Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put 24 lbs on my belt (no shoulder straps how does one lose a weight belt?) and 6 pounds clamped on my AL80. I use a Tenka spring loaded buckle that takes up the slack as the suit compresses. Lose a weight belt?!?!

(no shoulder straps how does one lose a weight belt?)

I don't think its as hard as you would think especially shore diving the local lakes around here. If it comes a little loose during the dive, you didn't tighten it enough, you put it on with air in your suit that exhausted when you started the dive, etc.

Then, fumble around taking your fins off in 3-4' of water so it starts to slip. On your way to exit, there it goes. If you are sludging through a soft bottom, you might not even feel it hit your feet.

I'm much happier with the straps to be certain the thing stays where I put it.

Then I shall just feel blessed with my weight requirement!! :D

If I had to distribute 26lbs, I'd probably have a SS plate (6lb) with a weighted STA (6lb) and cam band pockets (6lb), with the remainder in a weightbelt.

I just don't really like weights in a belt... I much prefer the weight over the top of my lungs rather than on my hips. Weight belt under the harness - not a worry to me.

It's not that I won't give up, but did you re-check when you shifted from AL80s to steel 100s? :wink:

Yeah I did. I may just be fat, but I have actually been exercising regularly (6 days a week @ 1hr a day) and my weight requirement has been dropping as I become more negatively buoyant. But yea, 26 lbs is where I was at. I had thought about adding an STA for added weight, because I like less weight on my belt (dont we all?). BUT, I am not totally opposed to being able to drop weight if i need to for some reason. Also, if i need to ditch my rig I dont want to worry about positive buoyancy as soon as I leave my stuff behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom