Weighting change estimate, new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently wear a 2 piece NeoSport 7mm FJ and use 24 lbs.

Tomorrow I will be taking delivery of a Mares 8/7/6 fullsuit.

On Saturday I do a 2-tak boat dive, and I have no opportunity to do a check dive with the new suit prior to this. I want to minimize my futzing about for the other people on the boat. So.

What is a reasonable estimate of the weighting difference as a starting point? Is it small enough that I should just do the dive slightly overweighted? What should Itake off to start? 2lbs? 4 lbs?

Dive with what you normally use and do a weight check at the end of the dive.

That is kind of what I was thinking...

I currently wear a 2 piece NeoSport 7mm FJ and use 24 lbs.

Tomorrow I will be taking delivery of a Mares 8/7/6 fullsuit.

On Saturday I do a 2-tak boat dive, and I have no opportunity to do a check dive with the new suit prior to this. I want to minimize my futzing about for the other people on the boat. So.

What is a reasonable estimate of the weighting difference as a starting point? Is it small enough that I should just do the dive slightly overweighted? What should Itake off to start? 2lbs? 4 lbs?

Honestly, you shouldn't need to change the weight I would imagine as the areas getting reduced neoprene re going to be counteracted by the increase on the core. I would be surprised if you need to add or remove any weight.

Daru

It's all moot - it was delivered today, and I am guessing it is a factory issue, but the body is really short - certainly not what I was expecting for a large, me at 5'10".

DSCF3362-3.jpg

Sad.....but in future.....put weights on the suit, what it takes to sink it is roughly the weight you need. I expect the change in thickness of neoprene will be minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom