Weighting: 5 mil to 7 mil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In my full rig, with a five mil suit, I am properly weighted with 12 additional pounds.

How much more would I need to add for a 7 mil? Rough estimate is good. I am going to cold water but won't have the chance to dive the thicker suit until I am there so just want a starting point to fine tune after I arrive.

Thanks!

FWIW I had to add 7 lbs when I went from a used 5 to a brand new 7 mm.

In my full rig, with a five mil suit, I am properly weighted with 12 additional pounds.

How much more would I need to add for a 7 mil? Rough estimate is good. I am going to cold water but won't have the chance to dive the thicker suit until I am there so just want a starting point to fine tune after I arrive.

Thanks!

Depending on size, the rule of thumb is 2-3lbs/mm. I'm the size of a polar bear so mine is a bit over 3 with XXLT wetsuits, but normal people are around 2-3lbs. Put 6lbs on and you should be close enough.

I wear 8 lbs in my 5 mil

I wear 16 lbs in my 7 mil

Sorry, I was a bit too sleepy when I posted the above.

This information would be WAY more useful with the details below added:

I am 5’9” and weigh 170 lbs.

Both my wetsuits are one-piece suits in size Medium. Both are Aqualung; 5 mil is a 2019 AquaFlex (I think) and the 7 mil is a ~2016 SolaFlex.

Do you have the suits now? If so, you can measure the buoyancy of each in a pool, hot tub, barrel, large trash can, etc. A mesh bag and luggage scale makes this easy.
1. Find enough weight to sink the 7mm
2. Measure the IN-WATER weight of the weight+7mm suit.
3. Measure the IN-WATER weight of the weight+5mm suit.
4. The difference between those two measurements is what you need to add.

I'm 5' 9", weighing 155 lbs. I use 12 lbs of dive weight with 5mm wetsuit and AL80 tank. If I take a Steel 100 tank, instead of AL80, I use 10 lbs of dive weight. With 7mm wetsuit, I'll add 4 lbs with AL80 tank to a total 16 lbs of dive weight or add 2 lbs with Steel 100 to a total of 14 lbs of dive weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom