Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosbif71

Registered
Reaction score
Each time I dive I end up adding more weight.

Did 2 dives yesterday in the Indian Ocean (Oman).
For the first dive I had 20lbs (10kg) but was too light when my tank got down to 50bar. Ended up doing the second dive with 28lbs (14kg). and that was diving in shorts and a t-shirt!

does anyone else dive with this sort of weight??

8lbs is a lot to add for the weight of the gas, maybe you should have incremented in a smaller amount, like 2lbs. FYI My youngest son is big (245lbs) and is a real floater, but without a wetsuit in salt water, 16lbs would sink him with ease with an AL80 near empty. Maybe you have air in your BC or something else is providing bouyancy.

I also agree with the previous comment of perhaps you have air in your BCD or something else might be going on with your buoyancy. However, you could possibly be on your correct weights as well. It is impossible to really address your question over the internet without the following information:

How much do you weigh? (Sorry, I know that is a bit personal, but usually helps to give a more acurate idea.)

Also, have you been doing buoyancy checks at the surface before and after your dive?

That does seem like a lot of weight. If you've done your own buoyancy check and it still seems like you need that much weight, have you asked your DM to help with it? Perhaps there's something you've missed.

If you find that you really do need all that weight, perhaps you sould consider diving with steel cylinders. That should take some 8 lbs off your weight belt and will maintain negative buoyancy throughout the dive. We use steel and our guests love them.

thanks for the replies.
I am on the rather large side. probably around 260lbs.

never really get chance to do buoyancy checks with the dive centres out here. Also I dont seem to have a choice of what tank I get. Think they all seem to use Alu.

I have needed more weight since I switch to my own BC (Scubapro T-force) but have used every possible combination of the the different vales to release the air during my dives.

will probbaly look at doing the buoyancy course next month. In the meantime think its better to be a bit overweight rather than be too buoyant and not able to do the 5m stop.

Hellohello, why is using less weight so significant ? I see posts on here all the time about "getting my weight down" or agonizing over using more weight than the next guy... what does it matter ?

If it takes someone 10, 20 or even 30 lbs. so what ? as long as you are able to achieve neutral buoyancy between your weights and your BCD does it even matter?

Is there an issue with the BC not being able to provide lift if too much weight is used?

Or is it just one of those things that people use to feel better about themselves by denigrating the novice diver? " I use less weight than you " kinda thing?

No, it's not a competition to see who can dive with the least weight. But often, new divers are adding weight to compensate for technique problems, and the additional weight makes their problems worse. If you can't descend because you're finning yourself back to the surface, or you keep adding weight to keep yourself from kicking up because you're diving at a 45 degree or greater angle to the bottom, then you're carrying weight you don't really need to be neutral, and you have to compensate for that weight with air in the BC (or dry suit). Large air bubbles are unstable and are much more difficult to manage during ascents, setting the stage for worse buoyancy problems.

So, getting the RIGHT amount of weight for you, whatever it is, is important, as is distributing that weight in a fashion which doesn't obligate you to dive significantly feet down.

well did a couple more dives today with 26lbs and the ditched 2 to 24lbs for the second dive. think 25lbs will be right for me in the UAE/Oman Indian Ocean.

Im having the same problem... im 320 lbs and when i dive with no wetsuit im good with 16 lbs.. but with a wetsuit i tried 20 lbs and nada.. i just float there.. i have to swim hard to the bottom then im somewhat ok.. im trying 25 lbs tomorrow when i go out.. the wetsuit makes things so much harder (as in boyancy)

Back
Top Bottom