Weight questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you wear the legs of the wet suit tucked into your boots or outside? If they are tucked in you might be trapping some water in there. I have a 3mil shorty that every time I wear it I end up looking quite bloated. Doesn't happen at all with my 7mil full suit. The 3 mil has a lot more stretch to it and the 7mil is tighter. You might try renting a smaller suit and see if it helps. The water in there won't effect your buoyancy. Water is neutral in water.
It is possible that the the first dry suit was a type of neoprene that is already compressed while the other wasn't. In the first case the suit is about the same buoyancy at depth as it is at the surface so you need less weight at the surface. The normal neoprene suit would be more buoyant towards the surface and compress as you go deeper so a couple of pounds extra might be needed. Every type of suit has its own buoyancy characteristics. Also, did you remember to burp the suit?
With the trilam suit you should be able to take a few pounds off the belt since you don't have all of that floaty rubber.

I'm sorry this was all written so bad but it is very late and I just got off the phone with my sister and I'm very ready for bed.. She called at 8:30 and it is now 11:20.
I wanted to reassure you that you won't be ignored. I'm positive that if anything I said isn't clear or is incorrect, it will be corrected before I get up in the morning and whoever wrote it will be much more clear than I was.

Joe

Joe, thanks for replying despite your fatigue (hopefully not DCS related... LOL). I really appreciate the comments from members on this board. What you said made sense to me.

I did try leaving the leg cuffs on the outside of the boots and as I recall it still filled up on one dive and didn't fill up on another dive... go figure. As long as it's not causing a buoyancy issue, I guess I won't stress about it too much...

I burped the drysuit after zipping up so I think adding the extra weight at the surface must be related to the different neoprene materials as you suggested. I did notice I had to add quite a few more bursts to the BC at depth to get neutral.

I have been researching the past threads about shell drysuits and am still undecided about what to buy. I'm looking forward to diving in one and I will experiment with less weight.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom