Weight QR with harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone!
Im sure this has been discussed here many times before but i couldn't find anything in my search.

I recently upgraded to a Halcyon Eclipse BCD and encountered a problem regarding my weights.

Using a weight belt while also wearing a harness is not only uncomfortable but in an emergency can be tricky to quick release, how ever i haven't yet found a way to be able to quick release my weights using the harness.

For now i am using trim weights attached to my tank straps which means in an emergency im unable to quickly detach them. I just feel unsafe diving this way.
Threading the weights around the harness is also not an option because of lack of quick release.

I was thinking of using the trim weight pockets on the harness's waist strap but i cannot find a way to keep them fixed in a position with out sliding around the strap.

Would really appreciate some tips and help,
Best regards, Schahaf.

You can get aftermarket quick drop weight pockets that will fit on your harness’s belt from a number of manufacturers.

Weight belt under harness for me. It is not the easiest to ditch, but ditchable for sure.

The real question is why and when you need weight ditch. Single tank balanced rig, I can’t find too many reasons to ditch.

I have tried a number of QR weight pockets, none works too well IMO. Halcyon also made one for their BCD, quite expensive tho. DR also makes one which I have used. It doesn’t work that well, not recommended.

Wear the weight belt over the harness. Last on, first off.

Technically is an option but not ideal to be honest, does not sound very comfortable as well.

You can get aftermarket quick drop weight pockets that will fit on your harness’s belt from a number of manufacturers.

Either they are hilariously expensive or are almost the same like the trim ones i have, which pose the same problem for keeping them in the same position.

Weight belt under harness for me. It is not the easiest to ditch, but ditchable for sure.

The real question is why and when you need weight ditch. Single tank balanced rig, I can’t find too many reasons to ditch.

I have tried a number of QR weight pockets, none works too well IMO. Halcyon also made one for their BCD, quite expensive tho. DR also makes one which I have used. It doesn’t work that well, not recommended.

I always found the "Will you need to ditch your weight belt" kind of a disputed topic, i mostly tend to agree with you in saying that i dont really see a reason to ditch your weights, how ever i prefer to play it safe and have that option available to me in case i need it.
Also keeping all of that weight on the tank bands really makes it annoying in terms of balance, every time i roll over slightly i get pulled by the weights.

So reasons for weight belt under harness are these. It is still ditchable, just take a bit more time. It is impossible to accidentally lose the weight, which is a lot more dangerous.

Weight in tank band is really not big deal. It takes a few dives to get used to. Just imagine people do dive with more than one tank on their back, a couple lb extra there is not uncommon.

Dive Gear Express has clips that lock onto standard webbing to hold the weight pockets in place.

The first question I would ask, is how much weight you need to carry?

I ask this, because my personal solutions vary depending on whether I'm in a drysuit carrying 12kg or weight, or if I'm in my summer rig carrying 2kg.

It's okay to distribute yoru weight in a couple of different places.

For summer, then all mine is in rear trim pockets, it doesn't need to be ditchable because its a balanced rig.

There is a limit (personal preference) on how much you'll carry in the rear. I find too much makes lifting the rig off a cylinder when swapping, awkward. Also moving kit or climbing boat ladders more difficult.

You can use integrated weight pockets on your waistband. These made for purpose pockets generally link to the back plate to keep them in position. A disadvantage for me is that I then cant' use my equipment pockets, where I store small items for my diving environment like dsmb, reef hook torch etc

Another solution is simple trim weight pouches that can have emergency release ( the bottom of the pocket) fitted on waist belt in addition to trim pockets

If you use pouches on your waist band, to keep them in place you can use the plastic sliders use to keep weights on weight belts, or you can put on D-rings to keep them in place.

You only need to ditch some weight in an emergency - not 100% of it

If you want to use simple weight pockets on your belt, the left one will be held in place by by the D-ring. The one on the right could be secured by a spare weight belt buckle or the DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Webbing Lock Clip, but I carry a Weighted Bellows™ Pocket - Halcyon Dive Systems on that side for my SMB, etc, which also holds a weight block.

(FWIW, I have seen the left side pocket sliding against the D-ring pull the tri-glide behind the plate through the slot. I replaced it with a larger one when I got home.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom