Weight Pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on this board has ever made their own weight pouches? What is the best fabric to use? Any hints on dimensions for various weights? What about your method for keeping them closed? Any recommendation on shot size? I think I would like to make some 4# and 5# pouches.

An awfull lot of trouble if you ask me, but then I don't sew. I would imagine that if you could get your hands on some neopreme like the ones that I bought it would work good. Go to the LDS and see what material theirs are made of and what size. The original canvas type of bag that shot comes in would probably get too soft when wet and wear out.

If you like doing this sort of thing, you could definately save some money doing this. Good luck.

Later, Hawk.

I was thinking of the nylon mesh fabric like alot of the Nike shorts are made of, or like some football jerseys have. I don't sew, but I am certain my wife could handle making these kind of things. They may wear out over time, but hopefully I could catch any signs of wear and tear before it breaks open. Plus, I figure with the cost savings I can afford to replace them more often than the "store bought" variety.

It may have been LDS BS, but I was advised against making my own.
Being a gun person, I mentioned that I might take some lead shot and make my own pouches... the theory was that unwashed lead would leave nasty stains on my BC.. not only unsightly, but toxic (should I decide to suck on my BC, I guess).
I saw using old wheel wieghts mentioned in another thread.

I don't know how easy it would be to "wash" the shot, or if that is even practical. I guess you could spray the lead shot with some of that Plasti-kote paint, but ...uh, c'mon how much money are we really trying to save here?

If you're diving wet, the amount of lead really shouldn't be that much. If you're diving dry, well, what percentage of your expense are you trying to save?

Hey, maybe you could make you're own wetsuit out of old inner tubes? :wink:

Hey Duca and all,

This is my hobby, and I have no problem spending big bucks on it... I even spend a lot of little bucks too! But there is something about the gear I make that I just like better and am proud of it. When people see the aluminum plate I made to use my wings meant for dual tanks with single tanks they ask me where I got it. If I merely mention it on the board, people take me for a stroke, but when they see it, they think it is made professionally. NO BS!

I like inventing and improving, and it has NOTHING to do with money. It is about being creative and enjoying my hobby in yet another way. Even playing with lead, I think it's cool when it is molten and I get to form it into the sape -I- want. I have yet to have any "staining" from all of the lead I have poured. Making my own pouches seems a logical next step, and I am glad someone thought of it.

:tease:

...if that is your thing. I just hate seeing people go to a lot of trouble to for the illusion of saving a few pennies.

'course, I'm not an artisian by any stretch. I get a kick out of getting craftsmen to make things to my exact specifications. When people ask me about one of my tattoos or custom guns, I like bragging on the abilities of the dude I gave the $$$ and the specs to. Maybe I'll send you an email if I ever need an "aluminum plate to use my wings meant for dual tanks with single tanks". :wink:

The thing about stains was specifically mentioned in relation to my idea of using lead shot meant for loading into shotgun shells, I don't guess it would apply to all available forms of lead. I know that most "lead" projectiles are actually lead based alloys.

If I were to hazzard a guess here, the lead "stain" they are referring to is the white powder that is created from oxidation. Just like steel, lead needs a ready supply of oxygen to oxidate! Submersion in water (salt or otherwise) will inhibit (not eliminate) the oxidation. So if you follow standard procedure for your weights and remove them while your gear sits to dry out, then the lead in your weights should not become a problem.

It also occured to me that instead of melting the lead off of wheel weights, one may only need to cut them off of their steel clips. Instead of shot (which seems to find the tiniest hole) you would have many 1/2 ounce weights. I think I like that idea even more. The less surface area (closer to a solid piece) the less oxidation would be a factor. Yet they should still be able to be somewhat flexible in their attitude.

:tease:

I made my own soft weights. I used shot that was size #7 which is small but the biggest that the shop carried. I then went to the store and got think nylon material. Sewed 3 sides and about half of the top. Turned the pouch inside out to hide the seams and the poured in the shot. I used a food scale (I don't use it for food) to weigh out the #'s. I then had sewed the rest. I have used them all summer with out any problem. After a dive I take them out of the integrated pouches and let them dry before putting them in a old cat litter square container. Hope this helps.

My wife has made several weight pouches for us to use. The material that seems to be the most easily avalible and works fine is the nylon stuff that is used to make the popular (at least around here anyway) flags that people have on their homes. As for shot sizes, the bigger the better up to about 00, the smaller sizes are harder to keep in. ( for those of you who do not know, shotgun pellets get smaller as the size number goes up, #000 are about the size of a pea and #9 are not much bigger than grains of sand, Most of the ones offered in LDS's are about #6) I also have some made with old lead bullets picked up off a shooting range berm, 38 cal and below work fine in intergrated weigh BC's but can be a little uncomfortable in the standard type soft weight belt. I suspect that wheel weights would have the same problem. You could make different weights different colors by using different color fabric but I just use black and mark the weight using a paint pen. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of doing unless you need a lot of weight but there is something about doing it yourself that many of us enjoy. A simple way to weigh the shot is with a simple beam balance scale. You can make one out of a lenght of wood dowel, a couple of pieces of string and 2 identical containers ( cans, plastic bags ect). Put a known weight in one side and fill the other until it balances.

Back
Top Bottom