weight placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjpell

Contributor
Reaction score
Grand Rapids, Michigan / Portland, Oregon / Ft. La
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just finnishing my openwaters and need to purchase weight for my farmer john 7/7mil poseidon semi dry, and halcyon eclipse 40# with alu 80 tank. So I was taught 10% of your weight plus 10 pounds to start and then slowly trim out less weight. 194 pounds = 19.4 + 10 is 30.

Well, my question is where should I place the weight as to try to be in DIR accordance. Weight belt, tank boot, v weights? How should I trim the 30 pounds I shuold be starting with. I'm working on getting the DIR book and taking a DIR class but have not yet had the chance. This is a sincere question so please no flaming, I'm new to diving and DIR. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I would find someone with a nice lead collection and do a proper weight check. Almost empty tank, no air in bc, 1/2 breath, float eye level kinda thing. 30# is way to much for most.

As for placement, put it where it needs to go - be that a belt or channel weight or whatnot. Noone can help you much over the internet with this sort of thing, because it varries from person to person.

Thank you. I will ask my instructor to help me with proper weighting. Problem is, he dosen't seem to be to thrilled about helping me without paying him for his time for a personal lession. After all the cash I have spent their and time with classes and gear I would think that he would do it for free. Oh well, maybe I can borrow some weights and try to figure it out myself.

If you are asking in here and your openwater instructor left you hanging already then just take a fundamentals course to top off your education earlier than later.

Proper trim and weighting is a major topic covered. GUE instructors tend to take more of a mentoring position and be around afterwards for additional questions without your visa card in hand.

Did you buy the BP/W setup at the LDS you are referring to?

*If you did*...I have heard that many LDS include the initial harness setup some kind of pool work to get the trim issues addressed...

Supposed to be one of the advantages of using the LDS at all. If you have to pay them for that service, you could just have bought the stuff over the internet (Although Halcyon stuff is not known for discounting), although the fact remains you had choices of where to buy the stuff...and they should be appreciative of that fact in my opinion.

JAG

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here wouldn't mind meeting up with you and helping you do a weight check.

Also tank boots are not DIR, if you have them on your al80, remove them. They make nice party hats or flower pots once removed.

Wendy:
Also tank boots are not DIR, if you have them on your al80, remove them. They make nice party hats or flower pots once removed.
Send them to O-Ring. He collects them.

Wendy:

Why would anyone place a tankboot on a tank that will
stand on its own?

As for TBs not being DIR ... for the typical rec-diver
that wants to use a BP/wing there is no reason to eliminate
the tank boot. Just make certain you remove it so you
can thoroughly rinse the tank.

Green_Manelishi:
Why would anyone place a tankboot on a tank that will
stand on its own?

As for TBs not being DIR ... for the typical rec-diver
that wants to use a BP/wing there is no reason to eliminate
the tank boot. Just make certain you remove it so you
can thoroughly rinse the tank.
I seem to remember that in a pool session tank boots were kinder to the bottom of the pool because of the softer material.

Don't read this as an argument for DIR changing their "no tank boot" stance. It's just intended as a answer to the "Why would anyone..." question.

On that note, I'd like to ask a question to anyone who has the answer. I know that in DIR there is usually a reason for doing or not doing something. Why is a tank boot on an AL80 not DIR?

Thanks.

Christian

Entanglement, drag, hides tank dmg, promotes corosion.. and dousn't actualy do anything positive while your diveing if I had to guess.

There are better ways to protect your tank and stand it up, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom