weight moulds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leee:
where can i buy a weight mould i have loads of lead but no mould HELP?
Hi:
I just saw your note regarding acquiring weight moulds. You may have solved your problem by now but if not, I have a good supply of moulds. I have 2, 3 and 4 pound open face moulds as well as 4, 5 and 6 pound two piece moulds. I also have a two piece 2 pound bullet style weight mould. In addition, I have a few fishing sinker and downrigger moulds. By the way you spell "mould" it appears you may be in Canada or the U.K. You can conntact me "THE MOULD MAN" at logicdesign@rogers.com
Leo

Leo Darmitz:
Have you looked on eBay. I frequently post moulds for sale. I have 2, 3 and 4 pound open face moulds. I also have 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 pound split moulds for weights that weave onto the belt. In addition, I have a 2 pound bullet style split mould. Have a look on eBay using search words "SCUBA" and "MOULD". You may also contact me directly through the "contact member" feature on eBay or at <logicdesign@rogers.com>. I am in Canada.

Watch out for these Canadian moulds on EBay! They have 1 7/8 inch slots. Belts are normally two inches width. A rubber weight belt can't even be started into the slot. Nylon is a pain.
The Trident is OK.
Pesky

if cost is a concern, here is how I made molds for my weights I used for almost 20years now:

1st method: make a form out of wood. The harder the wood the better. Water it before you cast, but dry the surface. Works fine if you don't need to mass produce the weights, since wood surface gets burned after a while.

2nd method: simple square "boxes" made of cheap sheet metal (basically, 4 sides bent upward) Then bend "frames" with rectangular loops for the webbing out of stainless steel wire, and set into mold so that only 2 loops big enough to thread the webbing through will extend above the weight's surface.
If properly designed, that makes a very easy to thread/unthread weight, at maximum usage of the "weight volume", and doesn't cause the belt to "get shorter" when threaded. I have a number of such 5lbs weights I use regularly. Although the wire is not stainless, they lasted for 20 years...

d-s-f

interesting...

but where can i found lead???

attchoum:
interesting...

but where can i found lead???
try your local tire shop... the wheel weights used to balance your wheels are collected en masse there, as they aren't reusable.

They'll often sell a 60# bucket for ~$5 or so.

Wheel weight lead is good stuff. It is fairly hard with 3% antimony. It can even be heat treated but that is not necessary for diver's weights. When smelting, the metal clamps float to the surface and must be skimmed off. No biggie.

I have just added to my line of moulds. I now have a 10 pound split mould. This compliments my 3, 4, 5 and 6 pound split moulds. I also have 2, 3 and 4 pound open face and a 2 pound bullet style. You can contact me "THE MOULD MAN" at logicdesign@rogers.com I also have some good weight making tips. I provide them with every mould I sell. I am the vendor refered to in message #11 by Sprange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom