weight calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try 12 lbs as a starting point on your vacation. I highly recommend you follow the advice given and do a proper buoyancy check at home as you are clearly overweighted.

WW

I think the best solution if you have the time and inclination to do so is to go to the pool. Use the configuration that you will dive with in Coz, i.e. shortly AL 80 and determine your proper weighting, least amount of weight that will allow you to stay below the surface with a near empty tank.. Then weigh yourself and all equipment including weights and add 2.5 pounds per 100.

If I had to guess, assuming that your freshwater weighting is correct, I’d say:
Wetsuit – 5
Tank +5
SW +7

But that puts you at 45 pounds, which seams rather high.

Mike

From the "FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH" column......

I found a lot of the replies interesting. My first ocean dive was a nervous event. I was close to paranoid about weighting and did I have enough. Earlier that year I had gone to Lake Erie and my partner was underweighted....we couldnt get him down no matter what we did. And, we got to the point of putting rocks where rocks should never go. He floated no matter what we did. Just couldnt get him to sink. I did not want that to happen to me and for me to be as embarrassed as he was about the whole thing. So when my first ocean boat dive came around you can bet your bippy I had some weight on me. I sank like the proverbial rock. And when it was time to come up...man...that was a chore.

I went to a pool with ALL....I stress...ALL my gear and got in with it in different configurations. Simply put, I learned in fresh water....even in a 6mill john boy...I still float like a rock and need no weight at all. In the ocean....I have gone safe and put 3 lbs in each jacket pocket weight and 2 lbs in each back trim pocket for a total of 10 lbs. At St. John, US Virgin Islands...(of course they are!!)... I sank with no problems....and the next time they go I plan to go out into the water (ocean) just over my head and perform the same tests I did in the pool. I dont want to ever be as over weighted as I was on my first boat dive. That was the only time I was "concerned" about my safety.

Do the tests....take the time....dont worry what anyone says or thinks. Its your gear...its your life. Thanks for the soap box..

divemistress once bubbled...
"In just a swimsuit, mask, snorkel and fins, I determine my body's buoyancy by seeing how much weight it takes to let me sink when I exhale about half way. Two pounds."
By "sink", do you mean to the floor of the pool? Halfway to the bottom? Or ???
TIA
Judy
Once you start down you will continue down. Because the air in your lungs will compress as you get deeper, and your buoyancy will become more negative as you sink. That is why, when on scuba, if you want to remain neutral, you need to begin inhaling the instant you detect any sink, and exhaling the instant you detect any rise, for in any system where gas is in a flexible container (lungs & BC), positive buoyancy becomes more positive as you rise, and negative buoyancy becomes more negative as you sink.
Rick

Contrary to what people say about weight formulas, they don't work. Weight has to do with your personal body density and what water you are diving in. (yes, and what suits, tanks, etc)

The only real way to figure it out is to put on all your gear and test it out in shallow water to figure out your proper weighting. On new environments I tend to underweight myself a little, enter the water and check it. Then I have ankle weights that I can put on my ankles or in my bcd pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom