Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa !!!

100 post and only 2 refering to weight pockets, I use the Dive Rite Weight System Pockets and in case I ever have to ditch the weight, I just pull the tab and viola weight is off.

I can't think of a situation that I may need to ditch weight, but I like to have the option to do it, it would be sad to had the need to do it and not being able to do it fast enough.

I'm new to BP/W setup, but not new to the integrated weight systems.

I use my old Scubapro pocket weight belt for additional gear storage when the dive ask for aditional gear!

O-ring:
All things being the same, yes. What can you do to decrease your positive buoyancy as you swim up?

OOo, ooo I know, I know! Burp. Burping is the answer. Just like in Willy Wonka, when they drink the "Fizzy Lifting Juice". Or if you're a Family Guy fan, farts. Farts will slow your rise.

Uncontrolled ascent sounds like a good reason to not wear ditchable weight at all, rather than have a debate about whether to run your weight belt under or over your crotch strap, or wear weight pockets.

I think that ditchable weight is like a pony bottle. If you should never have to use one, why wear it? I think it gives you a false sense of security, because if ditching weight at depth is pretty much the dumbest thing you could do, either to yourself or your buddy, then you don't even want the option because you might actually do it.

I used to wear a belt under my crotch strap. I switched to a 11lb backplate with a 6lb single tank adapter. It also improved my trim. I love not having a belt on, I feel like I have alot more range of motion and simplicity in my rig.

This is also presuming that I'm diving dry; redundant inflation system. In a wetsuit, if weight is needed, then it should be ditchable I think.

:)

If you're correctly weighted, you should not skyrocket to the surface if ditching weight.

I mean, you can distribute your weight in a way that you just drop enough to slowly float to the surface.

I'm not ecouraging to drop weight at deph, but make sure in case you lost some, it won't be a major issue.

With my BP and STA, I just need to wear 4# in my integrated system, if by any reason I loose this weight (may only loose 2#), I won't skyrocket to the surface, just will be a minor inconvenience and probably won't have to abort my dive

Mandy3206:
If you're correctly weighted, you should not skyrocket to the surface if ditching weight.

I mean, you can distribute your weight in a way that you just drop enough to slowly float to the surface.

Then you were not properly weighted at the begining - you were overweighted.

Please Monk Seal explain that to me, I don't get your point

Mandy3206:
Please Monk Seal explain that to me, I don't get your point

The comment wasn't about your actual rig but about your sentence: "If you're correctly weighted, you should not skyrocket to the surface if ditching weight."

Let presume that I'm properly weighted and (besides SS backplate, steel tanks and other negative bouyant rig) that I have 8 lbs of ditchable weight. If I'm properly weighted I'll float with empty wing and "xy" psi in my tank(s) at 10'. Do you think that it's possible without these 8 lbs ?

No, you're correct, that's why the ditchable weight should be a smaller amount of weight, lets say 2-4 lbs.

Then again at 10' there shouldn't be a problem if you float to the surface suddenly.

Mandy3206:
Then again at 10' there shouldn't be a problem if you float to the surface suddenly.
Unless you're trying to hold a decompression stop...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom