weight belt with a wing setup ... help for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use a weight belt normally. I have trim pockets on the waist band for warm water and add weight plates to the backplate for cold. But if the class requires it you can certainly make it work.

FWIW, many divers prefer to have at least some weight on a belt for various reasons. For example, see this thread response Dumpable weight vs trim . Also a lot of us feel that ditching weight is something that should almost always be done only at the surface, so having a belt that can't be accidentally dropped is a feature.
For class you can make it work but its not a great fit, I had to do it during my rescue course.

I completely agree about the weight ditching but its a whole different debate that I did not want to get into because I'm unaware of his opinion regarding this matter.

I have most of my weight fixed to my backplate, I do also have a couple of pockets on my harness (not quick release, similar to trim) that I can add / dump in an emergency.
Its not as quick as the specially designed quick dump pockets but its a lot safer.

For class you can make it work but its not a great fit, I had to do it during my rescue course.

I completely agree about the weight ditching but its a whole different debate that I did not want to get into because I'm unaware of his opinion regarding this matter.

I have most of my weight fixed to my backplate, I do also have a couple of pockets on my harness (not quick release, similar to trim) that I can add / dump in an emergency.
Its not as quick as the specially designed quick dump pockets but its a lot safer.
Same setup here.

Looks like it's unanimous :)

I beg to differ.

Check out the Mako Rubber belt with the Marseilles buckle. Very comfortable, quick and easy to dump one handed if necessary. Less cumbersome than pockets IMO.
It depends on your situation. I only need a pair of 2lb weights for my vacation diving. Easier to have the pockets already on my harness than deal with a separate belt.

I've never heard the term Marseilles buckle before. Always called that a "belt buckle" :)

I'll save Mako a post and put the link in for him: https://www.makospearguns.com/Freedive-Weight-Belt-p/mfdwb.htm

Cheers guys , seems like there isn’t one best solution..

I will have a look at the mako belt too

You can also add some weight by using a 5kg steel backplate (norm.steel backplate is about 3.2 kg). For more weight, OxyCheq makes a weight sack that attaches to the middle (the spine area) of the backplate (i.e. it touches your back when you are wearing the tanks); mine holds maybe 1.3 kg of lead pellets.

You could also consider a small doubles set because if you need to carry the weight anyway, might as well carry it in gas-holding form. Doubles also allow you to place weights between the tanks, an area that can hold another 4kg or so.

DUI weight harness works great with backplate.

^^^^ thats what I use just make sure you get the newest one a in case your on a boat type where you ditch your weight into to boat before climbing in.

anyway, Im going to be diving in my 7mm semi wet for the most , be diving single tank setup , Im about 82 kg , I have a SS mares backplate and wing , and will be using a steel tank, diving in salt water .. I Haven't weighted myself for this set up yet , so unsure how much Im going to need was hoping to do this , this week we we get down to the boat ..
I am about 100 kg, I wear a 6 lb steel backplate, I use a 100cf HP steel cylinder. In a 5mm suit I used off the NC coast this weekend, I wore 6 pounds (2 x 3lb) on a (rubber) belt, and I was just fine in terms of total weight, and distribution. A 7mm suit - maybe another 2-4 but that's a guesstimate.
Andy692:
now I have been playing around, and Im finding that the weight belt doesn't fit too great with the one piece harness , I have tried over and under , I find it bashes on the plate a bit , and is pretty uncomfortable, the belts we have are typical old style belt with thread on lead ..
I am not sure why your weight 'bashes on the plate'. That sounds like a simple matter of positioning, but I may be misunderstanding your rig. If it is a matter of the weights sliding around your waist on the nylon web belt, that is not uncommon. You can keep that from happening with a tri-glide, either plastic (DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide) or SS (DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide) tri-glide, among other things.
Andy692:
my harness buckles up to the right , so would make sense to have the weight belt buckle up on the left , but we was told that weight belts need a right hand release .. but a left hand would be better suited for this ..
Not really. Better to have a right hand release in case someone OTHER THAN you needs to help you drop your weights.

I wear a Omer rubber weight belt (with a stainless steel Marseillaise buckle) belt (OMER MARSEILLAISE STEEL BUCKLE RUBBER WEIGHT BELT - Lighthouse Diving Center, Inc). (The link is included to provide a visual example of the belt, not promote a particular vendor.) I much prefer the rubber belt to a nylon web belt, since it will contract a bit as my wetsuit compresses, if I start out with some tension on it. I wear the belt UNDER the waist strap on my one-piece BP harness. Yes, the buckles are in somewhat close proximity, but nonetheless easy to distinguish, and individually release.

If it is a matter of the weights sliding around your waist on the nylon web belt, that is not uncommon. You can keep that from happening with a tri-glide, either plastic (DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide) or SS (DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide) tri-glide, among other things.
You can easily lock a weight into place with a standard nylon belt by running the belt through one slot in the weight, giving it a half twist and then running it through the other side. I'll see if I can find a picture or video.

Here's one with both the twist and keeper methods. Note that the twist is easier than shown with the typical well-used rental belt, especially when wet.

Back
Top Bottom