Weight belt question/problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude223

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a weight integrated BCD and I was told that it is probably a good idea to have a weight belt as well. How do I know how much to keep in the inside of the bcd and how much should I put on the belt. What weight combonation should I use?

scubadude: Why were you told this? Does you BCD not have a way to dump weight?

Bjorn

Hi Looks to me your a cold water diver, dive dry or wet>?
Well we dive cold water out hear and I use 24#lbs
Full 7mm neo,hood,gloves ect wet some and 26#lbs dry full Neo style dry suit so on my wing it has pockets for lead that hold about 8# each so I throw the rest on a belt or did, now I throw a bar on each tank band and now no belt, this would be non Ditchable weight.
I f you ever tried to drop some lead you will become positive real quick, so at no time do you want to drop mass lead as this could lead to a un controlled trip up.
So do the belt, or try to hang some on a tank strap, around the tank neck, ankle weight, clip on to a back d-ring and so on, see other divers set ups amd work with it.
Yes I know if you use large steel tanks you dont have that much lead but I still use the old/cheap AL-80 's cause I need lots to dive several days of the week and no LDS in my back yard!
Hey good luck,
Dive safe
Brad

I too have a weight integrated BCD but don't use it very often. I prefer my neoprene weight belt. My BC is heavy with the weights and difficult for others to pull out of the water. (On our boat, we take our BC off in the water.) Therefore, I just use my weight belt.

However, to answer your question, I was instructed that weights in the BC would be enough. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why you would need to use both. Maybe someone with more experience can answer this question.

I used a 7mm john and 7mm jacket in cold water, with all my weight in a WI BC. I never thought anything about it until I got on this board and someone pointed out what might happen if I had to take the BC off while underwater.

Now when I dive cold water, I will split the weight between belt and BC.

Maybe that is what the person was suggesting.

scubadude223:
I have a weight integrated BCD and I was told that it is probably a good idea to have a weight belt as well. How do I know how much to keep in the inside of the bcd and how much should I put on the belt. What weight combonation should I use?

As some have said it's about splitting things up. If you dive with minimal weight and can get good trim with your weight in the BCD then you're good to go.

On the other hand, most BCS top out at 30 pounds of weight including triim. A full complement of weight makes for a very heavy item and may be more than you want to deal with in your logistics. If you need more than 30 pounds for whatever reason then a belt becomes the place to go.

I swing between fresh and salt water. I keep 3+3 integrated and remove the integrated pouches for freshwater dives. In addition I run a 14 pound belt and 3+3 as trim weight. This is for a 7/7 suit, I go down to almost nothing from there in my 3mm.

For the diver with a weight integrated BC the weight belt is just another option in rounding out your configuration.

Pete

Sounds like a hazard to me if something goes wrong.....having two forms of weight (BCD integrated / Weight belt) might be a hassle for you or someone else when an emergency comes up.....

Last year was the first year I went BCD integrated and I like it, I've always had a weight harnass prior to that. But I do like to self dawn my jacket by sliding it up and over my head when getting ready for a dive, but with the added 20 lbs in my BCD, it gets a bit heavy...lol, but I still manage...

Divmstr223:
Sounds like a hazard to me if something goes wrong.....having two forms of weight (BCD integrated / Weight belt) might be a hassle for you or someone else when an emergency comes up.....

Last year was the first year I went BCD integrated and I like it, I've always had a weight harnass prior to that. But I do like to self dawn my jacket by sliding it up and over my head when getting ready for a dive, but with the added 20 lbs in my BCD, it gets a bit heavy...lol, but I still manage...

Many see it the other way. Of your total weight load how much do you want to have to drop in an emergency. If it's all on a single unit you are guaranteed to make an out of control ascent.

While I don't discount the need to ditch weight in an emergency it's generally unlikely. Many divers will accept the advantages of distributing the weight as a trade-off. Many divers cannot achieve propper trim with the whole load slung above their hips.

Swinging 20 pounds over your head along with your cylinder could also be considered hazardous. In some cases the weight carried is well over 20 pounds.

In the event you do need to do an underwater ditch and don of your BC it's nice to know that neither of you will be excxessively buoyant.

Pete

spectrum:
Many see it the other way. Of your total weight load how much do you want to have to drop in an emergency. If it's all on a single unit you are guaranteed to make an out of control ascent.

While I don't discount the need to ditch weight in an emergency it's generally unlikely. Many divers will accept the advantages of distributing the weight as a trade-off. Many divers cannot achieve propper trim with the whole load slung above their hips.

Swinging 20 pounds over your head along with your cylinder could also be considered hazardous. In some cases the weight carried is well over 20 pounds.

In the event you do need to do an underwater ditch and don of your BC it's nice to know that neither of you will be excxessively buoyant.

Pete

I agree with you 100% about the over the head dawning can be hazardous Pete...I certainly do not do this maneuver on the boat, the last thing I would want to do is crack someone on the head with my cylinder or lose balance and fall on someone or just fall in general. I normally do this on beach entries, it's actually much easier than the standard approach, but not with the extra 20lbs... :D

I also your points about trim and making uncontrolled ascents with all of the weight being ditched....:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom