Weight Belt OR Weight Pockets on Waist Belt Webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided against using the Halcyon ACB system for weighting and recently bought a Scubapro Pocket Weight Belt. The pockets allows someone to pull out and dump the weight if needed or dump the belt entirely...I know, I've read all the discussions on ditchable vs. non-ditchable weight, and tend to agree that a runaway ascent is worse off than ditchable weight. If properly weighted, one should be able to swim up his/her rig. I just wanted to mention that without starting a discussion about it.

Weight Belt Link Below:

http://www.scubapro.com/products/accs/pocket_weight_belt/pocket_weight_belt.asp

After speaking with a few people and based off what I have read, it sounds like the ACB system takes up too much space on the webbing to allow for easy placement of additional attachments (ie. Dive Rite thigh pocket for wetsuits, canister light, etc.) and doesn't provide the best trim characteristics, ie...it pulls you down and forward. Just what I heard....Also, the harness is cleaner and less bulky without them.

I have recently read a few threads where numerous people mentioned that they place a couple of weight pockets like the XS-Scuba weight pockets on the waistbelt of the harness, and slide them to the back, up against the backplate (and a couple on the tank for extra trim wieght if needed), thus avoiding having the weight up front and in the way, or possibly affecting one's trim. Plus, one can reach down and pull out one or both weight pouches if needed.

Looking for opinions, advantages, and disadvantages of either way.

Thanks

Just use the weight belt you have.... Until you have it dialed in... it'll be easier to swap out the weights. As far as trim weights you can just use regular hard weights in the straps if you have them... no need to buy more stuff...

There's a lot more gear that will drain your scuba budget later on :)

I agree with Ben.

In addition pockets on the waist strap may or may not interfer with a can light.

Tobin

I have the xsscuba pockets on my harness clear back next to the plate, they work OK but I needed to add serated keepers to make them stay put. They aren't really ditchable, OTOH I only ever put a couple of pounds in them. If I need ditchable weight (like with a 7mm) that goes on a standard weightbelt with hard weights, I just don't like to put ALL my weight on a weightbelt. You'll need to work out trim issues and the whole "balanced rig" thing for yourself.

StSomewhere:
I have the xsscuba pockets on my harness clear back next to the plate, <snip>They aren't really ditchable, OTOH I only ever put a couple of pounds in them. <snip>

You don't need to ditch the pockets, just pull up the tab and push the weight out from the bottom with your fingertips. The weight should fall right into the palm of your hand.

Thanks Robert, that's the strategy. That's what I was referring to when I said "not really ditchable", its not like integrated weights or the goofy ACBs or anything.

BTW, I've tested that technique and it only really works with hard weights but that suits me. :)

I dive a Deep Sea Supply BP/W with the 8lb weigh plates and a single XS scuba weight pocket over each hip, attached to the harness. This allows me to have, some, ditchable weight without taking up too much space. It's nice to have the lead off my waist.

whats the difference of putting d weight pouches on my upper tank strap or on my harness waist strap. ( dnt know if I use d correct terms) I use Halcyon hogarthian SS/BP.
I have a lower back problem. & am thinking i dnt want it too heavy on the back & strain my lumbar.
Am I right w/ my assumptions?

whats the difference of putting d weight pouches on my upper tank strap or on my harness waist strap.
Well, one difference will be the effect of the weight placement on your trim. Putting the weight higher, i.e. on the upper tank cam band, may tend to cause you to either be better trimmed - more horizontal in the water, or may push you to a somewhat 'head low' position. Putting the weight on your waist may work perfectly or push you toward a more 'foot low' position. It really depends on the individual.
I have a lower back problem. & am thinking i dnt want it too heavy on the back & strain my lumbar.
I had a lumbar laminectomy quite a few years ago, and every once in a great while (every 18 months or so, it seems) I do something to tweak a nerve root, and end up with spasm, pain, and immobility. But, it does NOT appear that these events are ever related to how high or low I carry weight on my back. That's just been my experience and may not be yours. I guess I could make an argument that carrying the weight lower - on my hips - is a more stable and lumbar spine-preserving approach, than carrying it high. But I haven't noticed a difference.

As Colliam said, the placement of the weights will affect your trim, and to a small extent, your lateral stability (roll). If you do put weights on the cambands, it's best to put them on either side of the tank, close to the plate. Putting significant weight on the top of the tank increases roll tendency (this is for a single tank setup, which I'm assuming we're discussing here, as doubles don't have cambands).

For me, the reason to minimize the weight on the rig is for moving it around on land. I do use weights on the cambands for trim, but I take them out to move the rig around, thus dropping the weight of the gear by six pounds. In my experience, it's moving the gear on land that has caused all my back problems from diving, not walking in the gear or swimming in it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom