Weight belt falling off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leapfrog - agreed and we're hijacking this post and yes, I started it so sorry. I don't think we have a difference of opinion. J

I must say, and as most of you know, I am no fan of ScubaPro, that I have never rented a bad piece of ScubaPro gear ... never. Is it the inherent quality of the gear? I think not. It's that the ScubaPro dealers understand what Leapfrog is saying.

The rubber belt has more than enough stretch to compensate for even the most extreme suit compression, you adjust it so it is snug on the surface and forget it.

The Seaquest buckle is an alternative positive closure device, of a truly ingenious design, it is easy to tighten with one hand and easy to ditch with one hand, it's only drawback is that it is not a good choice for a very heavy belt.
I see it could work for a set exposure suit setup, but if you dive wet and dry, or layer optionally, it wouldn't seem to be as convenient.

On the SeaQuest, I guess you pull the handle end to release. Does the adjustable side hold without creeping?

I see it could work for a set exposure suit setup, but if you dive wet and dry, or layer optionally, it wouldn't seem to be as convenient.
Once you learn how you can readjust it in seconds and add or subtract weight in a minute.
On the SeaQuest, I guess you pull the handle end to release. Does the adjustable side hold without creeping?
Yes, the adjustable side does exactly that, up to 28 lbs or so.

Plastic wears out, steel bends. I wear two buckles in overhead situations (penetration/decompression). I lost a weightbelt two decks down in a small compartment. It slid under the floorboards and could not find it. The compartment silted up and I was stuck on the ceiling. This was old Unisuit days (36 lbs of lead). I swore I would never put myself in that position again.

Just put the buckles in a row so that you can ditch them easily.

Id have thought under a crotch strap would make more sense there, especially if overhead diving so on twins and most likely a wing.

Haven't combed the entire thread, but in his 1991 classic, Advanced Wreck Diving, Gary Gentile advised wearing a weight belt with two buckles to prevent accidental loss inside a wreck. I note in his later books he has moved to the crotch strap philosophy, but I think the double buckle idea still has merit for those of us who go strapless.

From any Trident dealer (most shops).

Shoulder harness for weights or suspenders for weight belts-all at the shops. Make sure you & your buddy know how to release them. Never worry again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom