weight at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i believe i am horizontal in the water as when i kick i dont move up or down, just straight ahead.

Have another diver look at you and indicate to you how your body trim is like by holding the hand flat with the palm down and then just angle the hand to show if you're horizontal or head heavy/butt heavy. [/quote]

We did have some surge on the weekend, it was fun to float along with it but had to kick five or six times to maintain position when it switched. This wouldn't have helped my air usage I guess.
thanks for the help

Do what Quero suggested, just let the surge take you back and forth and then when it takes you forth again, just start kicking to get forward. There's no reason to fight the surge to stay in place unless you really, really, really need to stay in place (i.e. setting up for a camera shot or examining something at a particular spot).

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 11:32 PM ----------

i thought they meant full lungs, gives me another excuse to get back in the water and check my bouyancy again.

There are several ways that work for me when it comes to buoyancy check:

1. I'd do it with nothing on but my weight belt and exposure suit. Holding a full lung, I should float eye level. Exhale fully and the top of my head should be just below water. Adjust the weight until I'd get this way. I'd make note of this weight because however I configure my equipment from now on, the arithmetics have to come out the same. If it takes 16-lbs of lead to give me a good weight check while wearing only my 7mm wetsuit, then somehow all my gears later (BC, tank, etc.) must add up to the same 16-lbs.

2. Then I'd do the same thing but now with my BC/tank, etc. I've found out that once I figured out the buoyancy characteristics of my BCs and tanks, then add lead as needed, the whole thing would pretty much equate to what I weighted myself with just the wetsuit. Doing the weight check with all the equipment on is pretty much an affirmation of my calculation.

When I weight myself and configure my gear this way, I never have an issue with doing a safety stop with no air in my BC and with the tanks down to about 500-psi. Afterward I can do a very slow, controlled ascension to the surface too.

Boulderjohn, I assume this would be better checked with a buddy to see exactly how out of trim I might be? Would this be worked on in the bouyancy class?

Excellent question. It can be really hard to see how far you are in or out of trim by yourself. The problem with using a buddy is that, as simple as it sounds, a buddy might not know what things should really look like.

Look up the phrase "buoyancy and trim" on Youtube, and you will see a host of videos. In many cases, the people are way better than a beginning diver needs to be, but at least you will know what you are shooting for. If you can get someone to shoot a video of you while diving, even in a pool, you can compare.

I used to practice in a pool by myself, and what I would do is try to swim with my chest a few inches from the bottom. I couldn't do that if my hips were well below my chest.

As for classes, the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy class is supposed to teach it, but in my opinion the quality of that instruction will vary quite a bit from one instructor to another. Other agencies have similar classes.

I used to practice in a pool by myself, and what I would do is try to swim with my chest a few inches from the bottom. I couldn't do that if my hips were well below my chest.

That's what I do in the pool too if I don't have a partner to eyeball me.

As for classes, the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy class is supposed to teach it, but in my opinion the quality of that instruction will vary quite a bit from one instructor to another. Other agencies have similar classes.

Right on again. The problem is that the instructors and dive masters who didn't teach you about proper weighting and trim before are probably the same ones "teaching" you in the PPB class.

Slightly off topic - but don't you just love it when a non diver asks you how much extra weight you need if you want to dive deeper!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom