Week in Fiji Nov 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got no axe to grind, they were fantastic in hospitality, the vis we had while there was a bit poor ( about 60 max the whole week ) compared to what we have now up north ( been at least 100 every day ). We did find the crew for our boat and Bega were a bit shy of going to the sites out a bit farther, we ended up at carpet cove three times in five days, nice site but I'm thinking the fact it was one of the closest to the resort may have had something to do with it. The other boat with some of our folks were going to the outer reefs with better vis and less current on the same day. after a talk to the manager ( Mark, good guy ) we got to the outer reef and it was a lot better. If you fly half way around the world repeating a site 3 times in one week is a bit of a fail in my book. No doubles with Ra and if the best sites for tide and vis are 1 1/2 hours out, that's where they go.

If I have to compare from what I'm experiencing right now and not from some survey I'd come north.

Wow that is the opposite to my experience at BLR a month or so ago. We didn't repeat a site at all during the whole time we were at Beqa Lagoon Resort and we got to go to the edge of the lagoon a few times (they would tend to talk to us about what we'd like to do). Viz was 30m too.

It is a lagoon and subject to run off and currents due to tidal changes! So yes sometimes you have to ask, but they try to rotate through the dive site cycle! I have dived all over fiji and yes the north is a lot different! The best diving is in Bligh Water in my opinion, but remember it is a long way to Pacific Harbor and the Big Fish Feed! The OP wanted to do the dive and if your there it is the best place to stay for Bures, Food, Hiking, Diving, and meeting the locals! So depending on what your looking for makes a big difference!

Fair enough then. I've dived both areas and think they are comparable, though I do fondly remember the soft corals off Wananavu. Abd the fact that you're further north in Fiji is a good point during a July dive trip when Beqa can be a little cool. How much has Volivoli upgraded? How many people could it accomodate? I regularly take groups of 30 plus and this has piqued my interest.

10 built now and the 11th should be completed shortly, plans for more soon.

Nice little units with a fridge, stove top, washer and as much hot water at high pressure as you'll need for showers.

And the fact that you're further north in Fiji is a good point during a July dive trip when Beqa can be a little cool.

What are the water temps generally last couple of weeks in Nov Wiggsy??

For a week’s stay I would generally recommend staying at only one area, but definitely possible to go to a couple. However, you will usually get the best value by staying 7 nights in one spot. Great diving in both Taveuni and Kadavu, but if you want sharks then Beqa is it. You can do the shark dive pretty much every day, as both Beqa Adventure Divers and Aqua Trek do it on alternating days. Of course, the packages will be with one or the other, so you can expect the shark dive to be every other day or so. I’d recommend either Uprising or Lagoon in Pac Harbour. When I was there last June The Pearl’s food was not very good – complaints from a lot of guests. Uprising is right on the beach, and Lagoon is inland a ways, but both good in their own ways. Both Beqa Lagoon Resort and Lalati (on Beqa Island) are excellent, but more expensive. For inexpensive places on Taveuni and Kadavu, try Tovutovu (Taveuni) or Waisalima (Kadavu).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom