Wednesdays Photo ~ Camoflage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm not gonna use the obvious Scorpionfish. Instead, this Seaweed Blennie also shows how well it can blend into it's background.
aaj.sized.jpg

I also love their Grinch-like faces.
ace.sized.jpg

These are my favorite fish, giant kelpfish. When the yellow ones squirm into a strand of kelp, it's nearly impossible to see them.

They also come in red, green, mottled brown, and a bunch of other colors, depending on their "turf"

giant_kelpfish.jpg

Here's another blenny, this one's a Tompot Blenny...
13August2003093Edited.jpg

Here is one of my favourite fish...a green frog fish...

frogfish2.jpg

here's another, a baby cuttle. He's only about 10mm long, and I only spotted him when he swam through another shot I was taking...

1.jpg

1/100 @ F4.0 ISO100 21mm lens with Epoque Macro Aperture Priority

This Nohu is about 16" long and I almost swam right on by:

nohuhide.jpg

The Nohu, or Titan Scorpionfish is nearly gone here in Hawaii. It used to be hunted regularly for food. After you get close enuf for a flash to reach, he looks like this:

titan.jpg

My keen eye picked out this octopus almost immediately (after I almost put my hand down on top of it and it moved :D):

large.jpg

The only reason I knew there was something beneath all that was because it was walking.

large.jpg

mandrake once bubbled...
My keen eye picked out this octopus almost immediately (after I almost put my hand down on top of it and it moved :D):

Yeah octopus gotta be the king of camo. I was snorkeling once and saw an octo go under a rock. I dove down - it was about 15 ft - and looked into a hole 3 times before I realized he was the hole. He had arched himself over the front of the hole and I was actually looking through his arms trying to find him! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom