Wed. Photo ~~ Blennies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he's awfully cute, Dee. Don't they spook easily? I have tried to photograph gobies and obviously don't have the patience.

Read my post just above yours. In it I explain how to get close-ups of those skittish cuties.

It does take patience but there are some that are just plain mean. They can read your mind and know when you're getting ready to push that shutter button. They sit there, motionless, and grinnung at you while you change settings and compose the perfect shot. You take one last look to make sure he's framed juuuust right and....poof! He's not there! You never even saw him move so you start checking your depth and O2 levels....positive that you saw him so you MUST me getting nerced.

So to answer your question...YES, they spook very easily!

I like it much better now. I'd even try cloning out the orange in the left corner.

You say anything in the foreground should be in focus. Wouldn't that have distracted your eye from focusing the Blennie first?

Our eyes are drawn a number of ways when viewing a photograph. We tend to go to the lightest or brightest area (not an issue here). We tend to be drawn to any text (not an issue here). We tend to look at objects in the frame from closest to farthest. We westerners tend to look from left to right. Imagine looking at a straight on shot of a highway in front of us. Your eyes begin at the point of the highway closest to you and then move up and out.

The original bottom left, by being out of focus, identifies it as being at a different distance than the blenny and clearly closer. By being in the same focus as the blenny, it would have a flatter look to it, which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The DOF is so limited with macro that it near impossible to get any foreground in focus along with the subject. I have many photos that I consider keepers that have that out of focus foreground item. Oh well, sometimes the subject doesn't cooperate. On land, you can move unrooted objects out of the way. Not so easy underwater. I try to remember to get the macro subject to the front of my scene. Somtimes I forget. Sometimes it is impossible.

Back
Top Bottom