Wed. Photo ~~ Blennies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I love these little guys! This one is a Seaweed Blenny found on the deck of the Akkogeek wreck in Panama City.

C-4040, YS90DX strobe, spot macro with 'cheater'.

aak.sized.jpg

I really love this shot. There are a couple of little problem areas, but if it were entered into a contest, I'd vote for it, if you know what I mean :)

Which problem areas? There are several and I'd like your opinion.

:wink: Yeah...I know what you mean! Thanks

The bottom left is between the camera and subject is out of focus. Anything in the foreground should be in focus. Easier said than done when shooting macro, but that is the way it is supposed to be.

The blenny is a little too centered in the frame.

Try cropping as much of the bottom left out as possible. It may help the whole shot, or.....

Go back and take the same exact photo, only move yourself about six inches to the right. That should help. :D

Nice Shot, me too will vote for it, if enter for any contest.

Scorpiofish...Is this better? :)

ace.sized.jpg

You say anything in the foreground should be in focus. Wouldn't that have distracted your eye from focusing the Blennie first? One problem I've had, in and out of the water, when using macro is the camera focusing on something at a different depth in the photo than what I want it to. Make sense?

Thanks for the critique!

how close do you get to the objects when you're doing macro shots? It's amazing to see these close up shots and wonder how it's possible to get so close without them swimming away or hiding immediately. I'm sure most of the time they do swim away before you get a chance to get a good shot of em. But the times you are able to get a good shot is amazing.

With digital zoom cameras it's pretty easy to get close. My C-4040 has an 8" focal range on the macro lens. In other words, if I physically get the lens closer than 8", it won't focus. So I can back off, giving the subject some space, zoom the lens in and get a good macro shot. Of course the old rule is still in effect, the more water there is between you and your subject the more 'stuff' there is between you. If you subject isn't a fish, or is something slow-moving or even anchored (like a seahorse) you can get closer and have got time to compose your shot.

The C-XXXX camera's (except the 5050) have a macro 'Sweet Spot'. If you did it just right, you can cut that 8" focal range in half to 4". Look at Macro Envy Relief Just remember that the closer your camera is to your subject, the harder it is to light properly.

You're right...most of the time you end of with fish butts or empty space!

And don't forget this is a cropped shot of the original so it looks closer than it actually was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom