weatherproof gps housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone make some sort of a housing for handheld gps units? It wouldn't have to be depth rated, just weatherproof to use one on a dive kayak. Right now I'm using ziplock bags, but there's got to be a better way. One that would allow control functions like a camera housing would be great, but even something generic that would allow the signal to get through and provide good visibility of the display would be a vast improvement.

Pelican Micro series. Perfect for what you want. They float, they are depth rated to 25-50ft or somethnig, and they'll cost about $20 for the size you need. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Additionally, you can get waterproof zipper bag cases from places like WestMarine that are far better than ziplock bags, and will allow you to press the buttons. Check those out too.

The majority of the Garmin handhelds are waterproof or can be submerged for 30 minutes, and will float, just check before buying.

Mike

Thanks for the ideas. I think the pelican box or one of the waterproof bags would work well. It's not an expensive unit, just a cheap Garmin I bought back in the mid nineties.

diversolo:
Thanks for the ideas. I think the pelican box or one of the waterproof bags would work well. It's not an expensive unit, just a cheap Garmin I bought back in the mid nineties.
You need an upgrade.

jviehe:
You need an upgrade.

I have more expensive units, including one that attaches to my Palm and a Magellan, but don't want to risk them out on a kayak. I just need something to set waypoints, tell me distance to shore and heading. My 10 year old Garmin GPS 38, held together with zipties, fits the bill nicely. If it goes swimming, I'm not going to cry about it.

I've got the Garmin Foretrex. It was made for windsurfers and kayakers. I take mine whitewater kayaking. Granted I'm not going to get lost going down river, but it's nice knowing I won't miss the take out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom