Votes: 27 87.1%
  • Lid down?

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • other?

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsgobie

Reaction score
How do you all wear your canisters???

Lid up? Or lid down?? What are the benefits of either way? And what are the down sides?

I would be worried about the stress put on the cord in a lid down configuration. I carry my light with the lid up and the head clipped off on my left shoulder ring. I stuff the excess cable in my belt UNDER the long hose.

FWIW.
I considered both options and decided that I would be a lid up guy. I think that in the lid up position I am less likely to damage the cannister cable when gearing up. I also think that it is less likely for entanglement and more streamlined. Finally, if I need to look at my switch, I can.
Each to his own.
Larry

dsgobie once bubbled...

Lid up? Or lid down?? What are the benefits of either way? And what are the down sides?
How would you get to the switch in a lid down configuration?

I wear mine with the lid up. The can is mounted on my right side waist strap and secured with a buckle to keep it positioned close to my back plate. The cord is tucked into the waist strap until deployment, after which is routes across my chest, under my long hose, to my left hand.

In addition to the concerns expressed above, I would be concerned that a lid down routing would make it more difficult to tuck the cord. In addition, I'm not sure that I would have enough cord to reach my left hand.

I've never seen anyone wear one with the lid down. All the reasons previously mentioned apply.

WW

lid down even a partial flood is mor likely to wipe out your switch and maybe cord and litehead salt water especially

i never seen a serious cave diver wearing a cannisiter lid down must be a reason

dsgobie once bubbled...

I've never seen or heard of this happening, but it occurs to me that if, by some wild chance, the clips that hold the light cover to the can somehow became unfastened, you might lose your battery entirely because it would fall out and, possibly, pull loose from the unit.

I can't imagine how this could happen.

I have heard a few people say they have had cave line snag a clip and pop a lid to flood it.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
I have heard a few people say they have had cave line snag a clip and pop a lid to flood it.

Eric

That's why the new Helios lights have locks on the latches.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom