Wearing Microprene under a 7mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats microprene and what temperature is 40f in c

Warren_L:
Microprene is a neoprene used by Henderson. 40F is about 5C.

Seems odd to be talking about 1/2 millimeter neoprene and 40F/5C
water in the same post. the two just don't go together

ChrisA:
You are right, however, Henderson USA markets their suits in mm. At least that's what's on their website. I'm more used to temperatures in C, and the F was for the benefit of our American friends.

ChrisA:

Supposedly, even though the microprene is so thin, if it is worn under another suit (like a 7mm) then it can provide up to 30% more warmth.
I will be getting mine this week, so hopefully this statement will be true.
Otherwise, microprene is most often used for warm waters for just a little bit more warmth than just wearing a regular skin or bathing suit.

jewey4:
Supposedly, even though the microprene is so thin, if it is worn under another suit (like a 7mm) then it can provide up to 30% more warmth.
Otherwise, microprene is most often used for warm waters for just a little bit more warmth than just wearing a regular skin or bathing suit.
I believe the reason for that is not necessarily the extra 1mm of neoprene - it may be because the inner layer acts to trap a relatively stable layer of water which does not flow much. Without the extra layer, it might be harder to maintain a layer of water that does not move much (and hence cool down as it does).

jewey4:

Yes it does make a differnece. IMO huge. When you get yours do your own test in waters colder than 50 degrees. You'll see.

Hi all I dive in the atlantic off the New Jersey coast where bottom temps in summer are about 50 degrees F (10 degrees C). I use a 7mm farmer john with hood and gloves. I started using a 3mm cheater vest that has 5mm hood attached to it. I noticed using the separate hood from my farmer john on top of the cheater vest hood it is very tight on my head. It's not terribly uncomfortable, but several times I have gotten lightheaded underwater and one time I started feeling very nausious and I thought was gonna puke underwater (maybe vertigo?). I really feel the two hoods on top of each other is causing this problem. Any merit to this thinking? I am getting ready to cut the hood off the cheater vest and wear the vest under my 7mm and just use the seperate hood. I'd like to hear if you guys think I'm right before I decapitate my $150 (wtf!) Henderson Titanium cheater vest. After hearing the posts above I may just buy the .5 mm Henderson Mircoprene jumpsuit for underneath. I'd love to hear how some you guys like it who just ordered it. Thanks!

Somewhere in scubaboard there is a thread about using dry gloves w/ your 7mm. You can't equalize the gloves, but the people who have tried it say that ds gloves help keep u warm. If u're going to a ds eventually, u'll need ds gloves anyway.

Wow I never thought of dry gloves. The few times where I actually got cold enough that I had to end the dive I got really cold in my hands to the point they were numb and I was losing some dexterity in them. This sensation began moving up my arms so I ended the dive. Of course the extremities will be the first to go. I never thought of dry gloves. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom