DIR- GUE We got bullied today :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So today we went to a local scuba diving club’s pool session and it was our first time there. We were going to practice our Fundies skills.

We were chastised by a fellow member as follows:

The guy: Who told you to buy that equipment? (Pointing to our Halcyon bp/w’s)
Me: It’s not ours, we rented it from our instructor.
The guy: That’s dangerous. You can’t ditch weights. (Shaking his head)
Me: You can put ditchable weights in the waist belt if you wanted to...
The guy: Your instructor doesn’t know what he’s doing. That gear is dangerous. You’re gonna get killed. You should buy this gear. (pointing to a jacket-style bcd by the side of the pool)

I turned away and ignored him.

Later, he proceeded to bully us out of the 2 lanes that were reserved for members.

He kept asking us: Are you members? To which I responded repeatedly, yes, we’re new members.

Eventually, I lost my cool and asked him: What’s wrong with you?

I had a 2 lb weight in my hand that I wanted to use.

I called the person in charge over and they told the guy: Share the lane or go home!

They eventually told us to go to another part of the pool so the guy doesn’t harass us again.

I posted this in the GUE sub-forum because I felt we were picked on because of our gear configuration.

I know he was an ignorant idiot but I still felt bad. We might bump into him again.

It wasn’t the club’s fault - they were friendly, and they came to our defense. It was just this one guy.

There are jerks and know-it-all’s in every sport. GUE gets more than its fair share of criticism for having/attracting them even when it’s not justified. For example, some people will develop a deep-seated aversion to GUE due to a single rude person in a BP/W who never took the first GUE class.

In general I don’t fault any training organizations for the actions of individuals. And, it tells me a lot about the people who do. In your case, I’d give that person as a wide berth as possible. They obviously don’t have a clue!

Just ignore idiots. They dont deserve you as a team member who has been trained to the industries highest standards.

Dont be rude to him though and be the bigger man/woman to show him that you can dive and his preconception of GUE divers is a misconception.

Represent the small community in a good light.

He may not be all there. There’s a guy at the pool who stares a lot. He says he’s training for the Olympics, etc. Not all there.

I guess there’s all kinds of people in this world and I got unlucky yesterday.

Total DB......just let him carry on scraping his knees on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom