We CAN use less energy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this true I was told that if I leave an appliance plugged in they still use electric even though I am not using them like the toaster,TV or Stereo.

Arcticdiver;
it is pretty evident that not many people knew about the avalanche in Juneau. I just read about it on line after your posting. Most people are focused on themselves and their own microcosm of geographical space. Living in RI now makes me feel isolated from Alaska. I'm hearing about the daily saga of RI political scandals.

Here's the article
:coffee:Avalanche knocks out hydro power - Juneau Empire

The amazing thing is that the electric company is already announcing rate hikes for the local people in the Thane area over the next two weeks. I'd be angry enough to move out of there and get another home in another area of town or in Douglas. What a ripoff.

Is this true I was told that if I leave an appliance plugged in they still use electric even though I am not using them like the toaster,TV or Stereo.

It varies. Almost everything with a clock, digital controls or that can be turned on with a remote control sucks at least a few Watts all the time, including stereos (those with remotes), microwaves, toaster ovens (typically ones with more controls), coffee machines (ditto), humidifiers, dehumidifiers, stoves and printers. (Remember the analog clock on older electrical stoves?) Even the wall wart transformers that recharge your cell phone and other portable devices, or power your laptop, modem or router can consume a few Watts, even when the thing on the other end is off or disconnected.

But things with TV tuners are the worst (i.e. TVs, VCRs, DVDs, cable converters). 30 W while off is almost universal, and 50-100 W is fairly common, especially for large CRT TVs. (LCDs are better, as are some computer CRT monitors, while the new plasma screens seem to be more hit or miss.) Power bars are your friend.

But a good old-fashioned all-mechanical toaster should be zero. :eyebrow:

Given current economics, some manufacturers are starting to get smarter about these parasitic electrical loads and lowering standby power consumption. It's not as if the technology doesn't already exist and isn't in production, since all those battery operated devices everyone carries already use fairly sophisticated energy management while in standby mode.

Thank you for answering my question. I guess my best bet would be to hit my son's room he has every wall socket full and he is not using any of them. Than I will get the rest of the house. Can't save money on the water here because we don't drink the Key's tap water. I buy water by the gallons to cook with and drink.

get a power strip, with a switch.

I saw an ad today in Popular Mechanics for some nifty ones.

Arcticdiver;
it is pretty evident that not many people knew about the avalanche in Juneau. I just read about it on line after your posting. Most people are focused on themselves and their own microcosm of geographical space. Living in RI now makes me feel isolated from Alaska. I'm hearing about the daily saga of RI political scandals.

Here's the article
:coffee:Avalanche knocks out hydro power - Juneau Empire

The amazing thing is that the electric company is already announcing rate hikes for the local people in the Thane area over the next two weeks. I'd be angry enough to move out of there and get another home in another area of town or in Douglas. What a ripoff.

The rapid rate hike isn't unreasonable at all. The electric company doesn't have a storage box where they can stockpile electricity for use later. So, their costs went up immediately and dramatically when they had to shift from hydro to diesel. They made the case to the Regulatory Commission that they needed an immediate rate hike and got it. That is responsible conduct by everyone involved; the electric company, the State regulatory commission and the citizens.

As for moving: I would be surprised if everyone in the area wasn't affected. When the news says "Juneau" I think they mean the metro area, including those you mentioned. So, the metro area is all affected.

Back
Top Bottom