We CAN use less energy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Many of you may know that the electrical supply line servicing Juneau Alaska from its' hydro source was cut by an avalanche. That jumped electical costs from very low to extreme in one fell swoop! Now Juneau is getting most of its' electicity from oil powered generators.

I was just at a convention where there were several people from Juneau. Without exception they said the citizens cut their electical consumption 30% in a month. Further, that the cut didn't affect their comfort level. Proof that we can cut our energy demands. We just need adequate incentive.

Their main complaint was that the Federal Government and some of the State offices were not cutting back too.

If everyone cut back as much as Juneau did think of the positive impact on the environment. Think of how much less demand there would be on oil supplies and the postive impact on prices. Think of how many fewer electical power plants that would have to be made.

But, how to encourage others to do what Juneau did? Maybe raise prices to $8, or more a gallon?

There was a tread that got to policitcal that was sent to the pub forum. I think what you are saying is a good idea, but it is to political for the open board, and sooner or later it will be sent to the PUB.

You will have allot saying you will destroy the economy. Just warning you where this will be headed with a $8 a gallon as a good thing. Let see how long this will stay mainstream.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pub/233382-gas-prices-how-much-gas-your-area.html

$4 a gallon has got me thinking twice about using my car.

$4 a gallon has got me thinking twice about using my car.
The prospect of $4/gallon has my dive truck on the market, and me getting quotes for these goofy little hybrid toys...

PS

I think a 8-10 dollar a gallon would make people rethink allot about to use energy more wisely. And be good for the enviroment

Their main complaint was that the Federal Government

My gripe too, I go to the Marine base on the weekends are all the AC's are blasting, with nobody there. I say "hey people are dying for this oil!"

gas was almost ten dollars a gallon in France. 1.5 EU per Liter
I also think that price willl be the only deterant for most people. ...and good for the environment. People need to move closer to work.

me getting quotes for these goofy little hybrid toys...
You'll be happy and cool, once the shock wears off. I predict you will smile a lot!

gas was almost ten dollars a gallon in France. 1.5 EU per Liter
I also think that price willl be the only deterant for most people. ...and good for the environment. People need to move closer to work.

Yes the price of fuel seem to be the only thing that really force people to rethink what they are doing. I live in NYC, we have one of the finest mass transportation system in the world, but until gas went up in price, traffic was a nightmare. Now that it take the average car 50-60 dollars to fill up, people are rethinking how they travel to work. Now that gas is high the roads are not as congested and it will help the air quality of Manhattan. You really need to hit the wallet before people takes notice of the habits.

As I also live in Germany, it is at 1.55 euro a liter, which comes out to 10 dollar a gallon with the exchange rate.

...gas was almost ten dollars a gallon in France. 1.5 EU per Liter
I'm surprised... France is a small consumer - they're 80% nuclear.

You'll be happy and cool, once the shock wears off. I predict you will smile a lot!
I'm already smiling at the image of me hunkering "down" to get into it, instead of climbing "up" into my truck... As a friend once told me, though... you don't get *into* one of those little things... you put 'em on...

I've no doubt I'll smile every time I'm *not* filling up...

Well, why would nuclear effect fuel for cars?

We were cold, btw. We had to build fires. And those damn house are all block, no insulation. they need to run the hot water pipes under the tile floor OR SOMETHING. It was May, I almost froze. Why would you have a pool and a tennis court and no clothes dryer? Nobody did.
I felt like Green Acres hanging all those clothes out.

As I also live in Germany, it is at 1.55 euro a liter, which comes out to 10 dollar a gallon with the exchange rate.
oh, good, I thought I did the math wrong, maybe. We drove their Peugot and stuffed two road bikes in the back seat.

I'm surprised... France is a small consumer - they're 80% nuclear.

The Western European as a group are way more energy efficient the the US. There are 450 million in Western Europe vs. 300 million US. There are more cars on the road there also, but the have been at 40mpg for some years now. And the EU is push the ladder even higher to 50mpg. And forget about scooters and motorcycles, there are way more there, we have like 30 million motorcyclist in the US, at about 10%, there it is close to 50%. And the get 50-70mpg. The Western European consumer less oil then we do with more people, and more cars.

The Germans get about 50 percent of their power form nuclear, and they buy allot of power from France. It is safe because they safe a strong safety standards. And they have had scars, like chynobol in their back yard. But they just make standard high and inspection and maintenance a priority to combat neglect.

Even though the cars in Europe are small, they have all the bells and whistles. A bmw 3 series is a large car there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom