Wazzup at Diveland and Madison quarries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about either site - was just wondering if anybody had any information.

Normally Diveland is open by now, unless resolute has scored that big real estate deal. :D

Haven't heard a peep about Madison, which is surprising since they were supposed to be open full time this year or so I thought. The current drought is also kind of worrisome, as the Water Board may be making plans for the 100 million gallons of water. :no

David

Diveland is for sale of course. $910,000 bucks if you've got that in spare change. I have no clue if they'll open it last year, but I heard 2nd or 3rd hand that the guy running it last year said they weren't going to be open this year. Of course no official word.

Madison is still in the works. The problem is the city water board hasn't completed the operation lease paperwork yet. They are dragging their feet.

I don't think it'll be open full time. I'm expecting it to be more like last year but maybe with a few extra weekends. Why? because the city is dragging their feet and you can't set up a business and go out and buy gear and stuff when the city won't give you advance rights to run the place. It just doesn't make business sense, so I can't blame them. They were planning on having more open dates and a compressor system this year, but they again are waiting onthe city.

As for the water board using it as a water source. ADEM told them if they wanted to use it as a water source for 20 million gallons, they'd have to add something like 35 million to the hole first. If they have to add water (which could leak out) they'd have to buy it from the city of Huntsville as Madison doesn't have enough water resources in the first place, so it kinda defeats the purpose if you have to pay to add water.
It's obvious the water board is very clueless in the city of madison.

They bought a hole in the ground hoping for it to be their 'water salvation' before they ever checked to see if it was a viable water source. Kinda stupid huh? Yup.

mike_s:
Diveland is for sale of course. $910,000 bucks if you've got that in spare change. I have no clue if they'll open it last year, but I heard 2nd or 3rd hand that the guy running it last year said they weren't going to be open this year. Of course no official word.
I'll check underneath the sofa cushions! :D

For grins, I called the phone number. Got the message that the park is closed for the winter and will re-open in April of 2007. That was followed by nine beeps, so they may or may not be checking messages. :confused:

Looks like it is still listed as being for sale: http://resolutegroup.idxre.com/idx/cpropertydetail.cfm?cid=7665&bid=0&cpid=412333&ff=1

mike_s:
As for the water board using it as a water source. ADEM told them if they wanted to use it as a water source for 20 million gallons, they'd have to add something like 35 million to the hole first. If they have to add water (which could leak out) they'd have to buy it from the city of Huntsville as Madison doesn't have enough water resources in the first place, so it kinda defeats the purpose if you have to pay to add water.
It's obvious the water board is very clueless in the city of madison.

They bought a hole in the ground hoping for it to be their 'water salvation' before they ever checked to see if it was a viable water source. Kinda stupid huh? Yup.
I don't know if you were at the public hearing, but I was and told the council that it would not be a good water source. When the quarry was operating, they pumped it dry with no difficulty at all. Hardly an endless source of free water here. The landowner simply got tired of the hassle and nuisance, and deeded it over the city.

In any case, mission was accomplished. Several on the city council saw the quarry as a nuisance to the upscale homes in the area. (Never mind that the quarry pre-dated all of the homes.) So they fobbed it off on the water board, and got some land for soccer fields in return. The water board isn't really out anything, and if the mega-mall :rofl3: on the adjacent property to the east ever comes to fruition, some of the acreage might in fact be quite valuable. Too bad that the city parks department did not get the quarry, I think they had some great ideas for the property.

I was hoping the quarry would be able to be open to some extent without having to be there with a dive shop or the like.

In any case, this will contribute to ABWA having another very busy season......!

Thanks for the update, please be sure to let us know if there are any changes....

David H.

bigDave:

There is a 'grass roots effort' (of some sorts) to get local divers to buy the quarry and operate it as a 'club'. Several people have said they'd chip in $50 bucks and more, but it's not even enough to pay the downpayment for all of those who've said 'yeah' to it.

I don't know if you were at the public hearing, but I was and told the council that it would not be a good water source. When the quarry was operating, they pumped it dry with no difficulty at all. Hardly an endless source of free water here. The landowner simply got tired of the hassle and nuisance, and deeded it over the city.

In any case, mission was accomplished. Several on the city council saw the quarry as a nuisance to the upscale homes in the area. (Never mind that the quarry pre-dated all of the homes.) So they fobbed it off on the water board, and got some land for soccer fields in return. The water board isn't really out anything, and if the mega-mall :rofl3: on the adjacent property to the east ever comes to fruition, some of the acreage might in fact be quite valuable. Too bad that the city parks department did not get the quarry, I think they had some great ideas for the property.

Yeah.. i remember the meetings/hearings. A bunch of idiots they are. This was all a 'sweet deal' invented by the city council and the water board, which incidentally is made up by almost half the city council. Sounds like a conflict of interest huh? :D This was all decided in not public meetings before we ever got there... it's a shame.

The city parks wanted the quarry to operate. They made a good presenation for it, but I think all of this was decided long before they ever held those hearings. They just let him talk so they didn't have to tell him no up front. (which is pretty much what they did with everyone as it seems this deal was already made).

I was hoping the quarry would be able to be open to some extent without having to be there with a dive shop or the like.

Well that was the intent of the new operator that ran the place last summer. He wants to re-open a full service dive operation & training facility there. However, the water board is restricting what he can do there and the lenght/times of operation lease. He could go out and equip a dive shop with compressor, rental gear, tanks, buildings, stock, etc, but due to the short term of the contract, it just doesn't make sense in a finance perspective.

I can't blame him. He could lay out a lot of money only to have the same paperwork issues next year and the delays in opening.

mike_s:
I can't blame him. He could lay out a lot of money only to have the same paperwork issues next year and the delays in opening.
I don't blame him at all, he definitely needs to protect himself financially.

Please be sure to update us here with any news regarding open weekends etc.

Thank you,
David

Back
Top Bottom