Wax on, Wax off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK so I have my very first dry suit, it's a bit old but inexpensive, the problem being that I have no idea how to take care of or maintain the seals and zipper. I know that at some point you wax the zipper but no idea of when or how?

I have gone over the PADI dry suit book and have read the instructions from the wax case and still have no idea?

Maybe I’m missing something here or I should just go back to my wetsuit.

Thanks

I wax my zipper every time I use my dry suit.

Better to change the oil in your car every two months than every two years.

I figure it can't hurt . . .

the K

Likewise, I wax my drysuit zipper on every outing. Usually just one waxing will be good for two or three dives and all the zipper travel involved if the suit is opened up between dives.

If I skip waxing for a couple outings, the zipper will begin to drag a bit.

You'll see the difference pretty quickly.

I also try to do the waxing prior to normal unzipping to avoid adding extra wear to the zipper and zipper tape. In other words, I won't wax it prior to the first dive, but I'll wax it before unzipping.

Dave C

I also wax mine after each use before putting it away, usually about every 4-5 dives. This keeps the zipper moving easily

Thanks a lot for the advice; I have noticed that the zipper has become a bit more difficult lately

I would recommend McNett Zip-Tech Wax, once it is worked in, you only have put it on every couple of dives, mine is always the easiest on the boat to get done up. McNett also make a product called Seal Saver. I would recommend that to you as well, the seals become stretchier, less sticky, more comfortable to wear, and they will last longer

I am finding out my Pinnacle Evolution 2 drysuit needs waxing before and after the dive. The water washes off the wax after dive, so I wax it one more time before I take it off. It's the most expensive thing on your suit. I treat mine very tenderly.

Back
Top Bottom