Waterproof W3 Vs Fourth Element Proteus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martin.bov

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Oh mighty ScubaBoard,
I am about to invest in my first wetsuit and after a bit of research I have narrowed my search down to the Waterproof W3 3.5mm and the Fourth Element Proteus 3mm. From what I can see they are both really good quality and the decision will come down to which one fits best. Before I go spending my money and on the off chance they are both a good fit, I was curious to see if anyone has any good or bad things to say about either suit that may help sway my decision.

Merry Christmas,

I have a W3, and I think it is the best 3mm suite I have owned. I find that it is much warmer than a conventional 3mm, and attribute this to the lining in the suit. Also easy to get on and off due to zippers on arms and legs. Zipper at neck adds to comfort out of the water, or to flush out suit as needed or to cool off. Well worth the money. For work I wear a DeepSee (Aqualung) 3mm, also a very good suit for the price, but not in the class of the W3. Have never heard of Fourth Element, and I have been in the dive business for a good number of years, I assume it is a Euro brand not common in USA.

Fourth Element is better known in my area for their drysuit undergarments. Expensive but good stuff. Problem is around here some of their dealers leave something to be desired in terms of service.

I have a new 7mm Proteus and am very happy with the suit. Fit is good(I was told to order one size larger than chart indicated), suit is warm, the neck seal is easy to pull on and off. The ankle seal is tight and a little tedious but the suit is new and this should ease with use. I bought the suit from Ocean Enterprises in San Diego and they said I could return it if the fit was not good (unused of course). The 4th Element suit is replacing a 7mm Pinnacle from the days when they were a really good quality.

DKK is right get a size larger than you think... They are very very tight. 4th element

I dive a Waterproof W3 and my daughter and her significant other each have a 5mm Proteus. They love the Proteus, which I have tried on. It's a bit of work to get on, but a great and very warm suit. If the right size, it fits better than any wetsuit I've ever seen - absolutely no dead space or extra volume. I've not tried the 3mm version, and my lack of local access is the one reason I didn't go with that suit.

The Waterproof is much easier to don, and a very nice suit in its own right. The sizing guidelines seem a little strange -- they said I should fit a stock medium, but I ended up with a small tall to minimize the dead volume in my torso and and allow the legs to extend to my ankles. It's not quite as form fitting as the Proteus, but much nicer than anything I've seen from Aqualung, Pinnacle, Bare, or Henderson (other wetsuits I have experience with).

Really, you can't go wrong either way. As always, it comes down to which fits the best, and whether you're willing to sacrifice what I think is a very slight edge in warmth with the Proteus for a suit that is much easier to don (and cool, as someone else mentioned) with the Waterproof.

Thank you everyone. I have tried on both the W3 and the proteus and decided to buy the W3. I found the W3 a much better fit, in fact a perfect fit and easier to get on and off than the Proteus.

Thank you again and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom