Waterproof Gears Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagonoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm searching for a new Dive gear bag and like to have some suggestions from you guys. The one I'm particulary interested in is Mares Hercules waterproof bag (90'), but it seems that they are out of the market for sometimes now. Is this bag still available anywhere? or maybe similar bag from other maker?

Thanks for your input. :)

I don't know about Thaland, but for people in the USA my advice is to look at bags for kayaking and white water rafting. There's a wide variety from little 5 liter bags to monster sized waterproof duffle bags. While not rated for 90', they are designed to keep gear dry even if the kayak or raft capsizes and the bags are tossed about in rough water. That out to be enough to survive being on a dive boat.

The "seal bags" are great I use them all the time when canoeing diving etc.....the are heavy enough to survive!!! lots of sizes and colors to choose from even clear!!!

nagonoj:
Hi All,

I'm searching for a new Dive gear bag and like to have some suggestions from you guys. The one I'm particulary interested in is Mares Hercules waterproof bag (90'), but it seems that they are out of the market for sometimes now. Is this bag still available anywhere? or maybe similar bag from other maker?

Thanks for your input. :)

I'm curious as to why it has to be waterproof, I got a pelican box for my gear and it gets dry to the boat, but after diving, the gear gets wet everything inside the box that wasn't used, so I pack those spare things in zip lock bags to make them easier to rinse at home.

I use a separate dry sack for my extra clothes, food, cell phone and personal items that I don't want to get wet.

My advise would be that you get a very tough bag with wheels that can handle the weight of the gear and when cleaning the gear at home clean the bag well too.

I went the Pelican route due to toughness of the case and 'cause it has wheels so my back won't suffer, but I abused for more than 10yrs an Akona bag that can be used as backpack, only problem is that my back started hurting a bit so I got something with wheels.
That akona bag is sitting on storage at home and can easily handle 10+ yrs of dive abuse.
If my back was ok, I probably would still be using the akona bag.

I was reading another thread, and someone expresed concern on keeping the car dry on the way back home, that's a good point, in that case, the Pelican would be a best bet, since the akona bag allways leaked on the way back home.

The Akona leaking in the car never was an issue to me since I allways use a P-up truck on diving trips, and if it was a rental car, who cares if it got wet.

Mandy3206:
, and if it was a rental car, who cares if it got wet.
I cared about how wet the rental car gets! The smell coming out of the trunk can just about knock you unconscious towards the end of a 10 day trip in a hot, humid climate. :)

Often I'd rinse my gear at the dock, so it was mostly fresh water soaking the trunk. Using a duffel bag rather than a mesh bag also helps. And sometimes I'd even resort to pulling the trunk mat out of the car and letting it dry overnight.

On some trips I'd still have to stand back 10' and let the trunk air out after opening it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom