Waterproof D1 Hybrid Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like it might be very buoyant with the 3d mesh? although it might just create only as much loft as a very warm undergarment. Any chance of a comparo to buoyancy/weighting requirments vs other wet or drysuits?

Beautiful suit! Most cars I've owned cost less, but the D1 probably gets better gas mileage!

I don't know. A few hundred feet on 80 cubic feet of gas sounds pretty inefficient.

hilljo88 I have dove the DUI suit prior to this one...once I try it sans liner and in a few different configurations I'll let you know..I'm headed out on Monday to do a few tanks so I'll have a better gauge then....so far weighting is about same

I dove the suit for 3 dives on Monday...again, a very warm suit! I used both the 3D mesh liner and the undergarment after manipulating the SI TECH valve and having success venting the suit in the pool without the 3D mesh liner. Overall the suit vented better, albeit a little slower than I was expecting based upon their advertisement, but manageable for sure. The biggest problem I have been experiencing has been the neck seals tearing. I contacted the distributor and was met with great assitance. Since I live close, I drove to the company and showed them the defective neck seals which they promptly replaced. After trimming my new neck seals, I stretched the seals a bit to test them. I am of the opinion that I may have received a bad lot of seals with my suit.

If you purchase this suit, I would recommend you trim your seals then specifically check the neck seal near the seam. There is a specific way in which to place the seal onto the suit with the bellows to the back of your neck. If you look close at the suit you can see a small line exactly in the front and rear middle that I am calling a seam. Adjacent to this "seam" is where my seals were tearing. So far no problem with my new seals, now just to dive them!

Another point I'd like to add is that the silicon seals are supposed to be more elastic and durable than latex by 40%. I've had NO issues with the silicone wrist seals and put quit the stress on them when doffing the suit, so I believe the 40% number is probably true.

On Friday I plan to dive the suit without the 3D mesh liner and only the undergarments. So Cal waters have been between 55-59 degrees F so this will be a decent test of the Bodyzor undergarment. I'll repost after that test, unless my dive gets scratched for some reason.

dove the suit today finally...water temp was 55F on the bottom...suit vented perfectly, needed minimal weight, and was cool, but I wasn't cold using only the bodyzor undergarment and polyester long underwear....this will be how I dive this suit most of the time and most likely will drop the long underwear..on deep double tank long dives I will add a thicker undergarment but look at leaving out the 3d mesh liner..guess i'm not a fan of the mesh liner for several reasons...NO problems with silicone seals today...I am of the opinion that I happened to get a bad lot at first and glad I kept at it..getting the kinks worked out and really like the suit, I think Waterproof should have the 3D mesh liner as optional in order to save on the cost, but then again...maybe some want all that bulk, weight, and flotation

Thanks for updating us on the suit. The liner is the only reason I'd buy the suit, sans liner I'd choose something else. Are you finding the venting so slow with the liner that you're losing control of ascent?

Thanks for updating us on the suit. The liner is the only reason I'd buy the suit, sans liner I'd choose something else. Are you finding the venting so slow with the liner that you're losing control of ascent?

Hello Deuchler,

Regarding the venting and the use of the D1, there are a couple of things that come to mind. First I am an admitted new dry suit diver. Having said that, it's very likely the slight anxiety and hypersensitivity to buoyancy while diving this suit caused some unnecessary concerns. The liner adds a great amount of warmth no doubt, but at the expense of mobility and venting. As mentioned in my previous posts, I removed the valve and "loosen" up the spring to aid in better venting. In my opinion this helped tremendously. It's possible that this was the only issues affecting the suit's ability to vent and I just need to get used to the slow venting of dry suit. I did not have an uncontrolled ascent while diving, but in some heavy surge I did struggle a bit more than I was used to while conducting tasks at depth.

There are a lot of great features with the D1 and I unfortunately have only touched on a couple of the setbacks I've had. I like the suit and have no regrets in buying it, but I am still getting used to the nuances of diving dry.

One important note on the liner aside from venting is the mobility. I'm not a limber guy and have started to dive doubles in preps for a GUE-F class and do lack the skills to conduct proper valve drills. I have found the liner restricts me considerably in reaching my valves and will report back after I've had proper instruction in doing same.

I hope this thread helps those who are considering any dry suit.

I just heard about these suits and was looking at the D7. I will have to see what the big difference is between the D1 and D7. I am hoping to get a drysuit this year before winter.

I got my D1 suite late last week, and had two dives with it.
My early experience is that this is a wery god suite. I had no problem with the venting. I dive with only enough air in the suite to not squice, my bdc is my boyancy device. The arm vent is open eough so that when i acsent the went releases the air automaticly, open it completly and closes it a bit. This way its not leaking water, but is venting out the air. I never push the vent for ekstra venting.
The temperature inside the suite is wery god, the temperature on both my dives vere +7c, and the only thing i needed ekstra was some long underware. This is only for comfort, as the 3d mesh is not that comfortably directly on the scin.
Movement, is very god with the 3d mesh. In my old suite I had i thick, what we cal, wams. But sinse I don't need this anymore the movement is better in the D1.
But the best thing about the suite is the silicone seals. On my old suite I had latex seals. These gave me some uncomfort both in the water and on land. The silicone seals is wery comfortably, and I have no problem entering the suite early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom