Water temps this week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craigdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be coming down to Coz this week and am in the process of packing. Wanted some advice on Wet suits. In November I dove Coz and found that I was okay with a 3mm wet suit most of the time but on the second and night dives needed a 5mm suit (which thankfully I had) The temps were measuring from around 77 -79.

Two questions

1. Does anyone know the actual water temps in the last week or so
2. Whislt I know that everybodies cold tolerance is different any opinions on whether I should drag my 5mm along for the ride or keep it safetly locked up in NJ

Thanks

Craig

Water temps the first week of june were about 81. This is 3 degrees warmer than it was march 1. Surprised what three degrees difference would make. Divers dove with 3mm full wetsuit, skins , shorty or just their swim suit. The water was just right. I don't believe you will need your 5mm, but if you have room bring it anyway. Hope this helps.

I go in shorts. We go every July and I dont often take my wetsuit. My youngest has virtually no bodyfat so she gets cold in 80 degree water and has to wear a hood and suit.. but me, the wife and my eldest usually are in just our swimsuits. for the night dive they may throw on a t shirt.

I would leave your 5 mil at home. I have little tolerance for the cold and do well in a 3m or a polar fleece. I usually bring 2 wet suits with me when I go on a two tank dive. I know its a little diva like but I like to change into a dry one for my 2nd think. I think it keeps me warmer and more comfortable.
IMHO I would recommend to all to wear something whether it be a full skin or a wet suit. Sea Lice and Thimble Jellies as well as coral you might accidental brush up against can cause you some pain or discomfort. My husband finally wised up after diving with just his bathing suit. I took him a few years to learn but he now wears a skin or a .5 mil and is a much happier man.

IMHO I would recommend to all to wear something whether it be a full skin or a wet suit. Sea Lice and Thimble Jellies as well as coral you might accidental brush up against can cause you some pain or discomfort. My husband finally wised up after diving with just his bathing suit. I took him a few years to learn but he now wears a skin or a .5 mil and is a much happier man.

Amen to that. Have seen lots of divers in shorties or less with some nasty looking stuff going on with their arms and legs - and have no idea why.

craigdoc:
Will be coming down to Coz this week and am in the process of packing. Wanted some advice on Wet suits. In November I dove Coz and found that I was okay with a 3mm wet suit most of the time but on the second and night dives needed a 5mm suit (which thankfully I had) The temps were measuring from around 77 -79.

With Coz water temp fluctuating only by 3 or 4 degrees year 'round, I believe the bigger proponent of concern in regards to comfort is the air temps. Then you compound that on the boat when it's underway. Ever ascended on during a storm and felt frozen? On a sunny warm day, I usually strip off the top of my wetsuit between dive to avoid over heating whereas overcast days, I'll keep it on to stay warm.

Over the years, I've been in Cozumel most months of the year, diving in all kinds of weather and have always worn a 3-mil shorty. For the reasons Judy and Marg mentioned, I'm adding a rash guard under my shorty for this next trip but it has nothing to do with temperature.

In the winter I use a full 5mil suit with a 3mil vest w/hood underneath. In July and August I can sometimes wear as little as 3mil surfer shorts and a vest.

You can use the following for accurate local weather conditions:

NDBC - Station 42056

The site is maintained by NOAA. There is no forecast.

IMHO I would recommend to all to wear something whether it be a full skin or a wet suit. Sea Lice and Thimble Jellies as well as coral you might accidental brush up against can cause you some pain or discomfort.

Speaking of Sea Lice/Thimble Jellies, what is the status on these lovelies right now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom