Water temp's question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am probably going to the the Nekton NW Bahamas trip next May with my daughter.

Any one know the water temp's?

She gets cold easily so I may have Santa bring a 5 mil !

I guess everyone has their own tolerance for cold water To be honest I recently had the pleasure of a trip on the Nekton. July 7-14 to be exact, and the trip was the Cay Sal Bank itinerary. You can check the details on their website at www.nektoncruises.com.

I used a Microprene suit (1.5 mm) and packed along a 3mm hooded vest for that "just in case". To tell the truth by the middle of the week I had decided to revert back to "the water meets the skin" and dove without the suit. I was still comfortable as water temperatures were right in the mid 80's. I believe the coolest my computer read was 83 and the warmest was 87 degrees.

The acception to this was in a couple of dives into blue holes when the temp dropped about 7-8 degrees. Of course you don't have to drop into the holes. There wasn't anything to see anyway. I was quite disappointed. There was much more to see up around the rim and on top.

Foe the record, the Nekton is a qulaity live aboard experience. The crew will astound you with their desire to please. Almost everybody is a dive instructor and are quite eager to dive with you as a guide or dive buddy should you ask.

Dove with Blackbeard's this summer... from their website:

May Water Temp of 77 to 80f/25 to 27c
Air Temp of 80 to 90f/27 to 32c

They say Skin or Shorty...

I would contact Nekton and get a recommendation too... :wink:

What is the date of your trip. I am going on the Nekton May17-24 with our dive group out of Columbia, SC. We have 20 spaces reserved with 16 already taken. We went on Blackbeard's this past May--water was in the high 70's. I wore a 3 mil and was comfortable in the water except at night. It was a little chilly changing in the breeze on deck, though! 5 mil might not be a bad idea if she gets cold easily. We had several people diving in skins but I need more insulation!-Riverqueen

we did the Nekton to Cay Sal end of May-June 2006. I wore a 3mm suit and got chilly a few times, water temps were 78-82. My hubby wore a 1.5mm suit and was never cold. People on the boat wore a range from 5mm to swimsuit only! It all depends on cold tollerance and how many dives per day. The NW itinerary is shallower as far as I know that Cay Sal, so water will be warmer.

I have been cold diving before but I have never been too warm! I don't dive in less than a 3mm ever just because of skin protection and if I do more that 2 dives per day, I get cold. You have to remember that you may have time between dives to warm up but you won't be as warm as you were the first day... it takes several days NOT diving to get your core temp back to normal.

How old is your daughter. My sons and I are going on the caribbean explorer on March 22. They will be 12 and 15.

Back
Top Bottom