Water temps and diving conditions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to visit my son in Elizabeth City next year. I was wondering about the water temperature, vis and diving conditions around Nag's Head and Kill Devil Hills from April to June time frame. I dive year around and right now our local dive spot, Lake Pleasant, is 54 degrees with about 40 foot vis. Our vis will only get worse as the temp comes up and the alge blooms.
So I'm definately not an 80/80 diver (80 degrees and 80 foot vis) and would love to check out some of your great wrecks. Any info on conditions during that timeframe and on dive charters or shore dive sites would be appreciated.

BTW, My son and his wife are getting certified through Nag's Head Diving this spring so I'm glad I have 6 tanks for when they come out here to dive in the desert.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Steve.

Are they getting certified through Outer Banks Dive Center Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina ? If so Bill can definitely set you up & he runs a good operation.
You are probably looking at lower 60s on the temp & could run anywhere from 10 to 50+ ft of vis. Depending on currents & storms & sites to visit.
Hatteras has some much nicer conditions & is only another hour south of Nags Head.
There are some shore diving sites, but I have yet to make it to them, known as the Triangle wrecks.

Steve...

I agree with RAD Diver...The water temps at Nags Head are very variable even in the summer months...influenced by Labrador currents. It is not unusual to see water temps in the 60's in the middle of summer at Nags Head. Hatteras is more stable. Diving off Morehead City and Beaufort is going to give you the best conditions and visibility during the spring and summer but April is going to be cold no matter where you go. Mid May to June is going to be your best bet. Of course...You are dealing with the Atlantic ocean so be prepared for bad weather at anytime...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom